[OutVoice] The governator speaks against Prop 8

Gene-Manuel gene-manuel at gene-manuel.com
Mon Nov 10 20:57:02 CST 2008

My boyfriend and I have been doing this for about two years now.  I
know deep in my heart that if it were the other way around, and my
straight friends were not able to get married, I wouldn't do it
either.  I just wouldn't be able to do it and know that my
friends were not afforded the same rights as me under the
law.

So, we've stopped going to
weddings.  And it doesn't matter who it is.  You want me to be a
part of your "special day", then you help me on the road to
making the proper changes.  Help me on the road to FULL EQUALITY.
That is what a friend or a family member that professes love for me should
do.

I really do wonder how things would be if all gay people
just did a full boycott of weddings.  If all of us decided to not
attend any weddings, no matter who's getting married. If gay designers
stopped selling their gowns, if gay hairdressers stopped with the
Up-Dos.  If gay florists and bakers and wedding singers just
stopped!  If brides had to start getting their wedding hair done at
supercuts and buying their dresses at Dress Barn?  :-)

for one am very happy about my decision and I recommend it
wholeheartedly.  Not only for the message that it gives and the
opportunities it has given me to educate some people, but also, for the
added bonus of not having to listen to "Electric Slide" or
"Macarena" anymore!

> I've
had a thought... what if gay people just boycott "marriage"
until we
> get the right to it... that means don't go to any
weddings, don't "work"
> on any
> weddings,
don't sell stuff for weddings, buy presents, play the organ as

people march down the aisle... instead just wish 'em well and say
"sorry
> but this
> is the only way it's going to
work." Sadly I know a lot of GLBT folks
> probably make a
nice living selling products people use to get married,
> so it

> wouldn't be easy. And maybe it's wrong to deny your friends
your presence
> at a
> wedding. But it's something they
take for granted that we can't. it''s an
> idea,

anyway.
> **************AOL Search: Your one stop for directions,
recipes and all