[OutVoice] The governator speaks against Prop 8

RagdBlade at aol.com RagdBlade at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 10:03:19 CST 2008

well for what it's worth... the "opposition" seems to think the GLBT
community needs to depend on "the will of the people" for our rights... i.e. when
other people think it's ok for us to have rights, that's when we should have them.

So basically, we're stuck asking for rights from people who don't want to
give them to us. It took a court decision to allow black & white to marry, to
strike down the sodomy laws, to integrate the schools... America didn't want
that... but our government is supposed to protect us from, as they say, "tyranny
of the majority." So that everyone is protected, not just the people that the
majority likes.

If we can amend the constitution to vote out gay rights, can't we eventually
amend it to discriminate against other races, religions, ethnicities? When did
this country become a place that we can just strip people of "inalienable
rights" just by popular vote?

When a "wrong" is perpetrated, sometimes it takes government or the courts to
set it to "right". They don't have to like us, nowhere does it say people
have to like you for you to have the protection of the courts and the law, and
that's really what Prop 8 was about.... "we don't like you, so you can't have
these protections."