[OutVoice] Cassettes

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 09:01:57 CST 2011

So glad you're doing this work, JD. It's great to know someone is
preserving our music!

Jamie

Jamie  Anderson
singer-songwriter-parking lot attendant
_www.jamieanderson.com_ (http://www.jamieanderson.com/)
_http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?id=557300426_
(http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?id=557300426)

In a message dated 1/14/2011 9:59:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jddoyle1 at aol.com writes:

Sandy,
That's a difficult one...........as a  collector and archivist I seek out
cassettes by GLBT artists because very  often that was the only format in
which an artist released a work, so it's  valuable history to me. I've done
entire shows, several times, based just on  songs available only on tape. And
you've sent me your tapes, thank you..:) But  if the material was or is now
on CD, I prefer that, for sound quality and ease  of use.

As a collector I've also found that it's hard to find those  rare releases,
dealers (such as on eBay) just do not want to bother with them.  I quick
trip to eBay and inputting a "search" in "music" on the word "gay" got  me
1144 hits, 11 of them tapes, and none of those were particularly  collectable.

But your question is what should an artist do with  quantities of their old
releases on tape. The only thing that comes to mind is  to donate them to
GLBT archives...and a catch is to check first to see if even  they would want
them. They may not have any capability for visitors to play  tapes. This is
almost always the situation I've found when visiting archives  around the
country, if they even have a music collection. And as they would  not likely
want "quantities" of a donated item, the option of you tracking  down the
whole list of these archives (and I'm not sure where that list is)  would be
more work than most might want. [Of course you would want to assure  the
Lesbian Herstory Archives gets a couple copies of each; their tape  collection
is superb.]

Okay, sorry, I know I gave you more of a  discussion than a solution....:)

Oh, for those out there who have  collections of tapes by GLBT artists, and
are ready to throw them  away...please, ask me first, I may take the off
your hands and at least you'd  know they are ending up in an archives that
appreciates them. I've "inherited"  two or three collections like this in the
past, and loved it.

JD  Doyle
www.queermusicheritage.com

In a message dated 01/14/11  08:33:49 Central Standard Time, SandyRapp
writes:
>From SandyRapp.com
I've got a number of tapes from my 1995 We The People album and even   more
from a 1986 release called "Hardweather Friends" which preceeded CDs.  Has

anyone found a use for tapes? No one buys them anymore but  if there's
anywhere  to send them, they're political and still  relevant and I'd like
take them
somewhere other than the landfill.  Thanks,  SandyRapp at aol.com
OutVoice mailing  list
OutVoice at outvoice.net