[OutVoice] Pride Marches On!

tworadio at aol.com tworadio at aol.com
Thu May 28 13:00:23 CDT 2009

Pride Marches On!

June marks the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, which are considered to have sparked the modern day movement for LGBT equality.

With the distribution of our 1,100th program in April 2009, "This Way Out" began its 22nd year reporting about and reflecting on our diverse community's struggle for equality.  As reaction continues to the California Supreme Court's ruling upholding Proposition 8, the world's only internationally-broadcast weekly LGBT radio program remains as important as ever to counter the ubiquitous right-wing talk radio cabal's ongoing perpetuation of myths and lies about our community.

We *do* have some encouraging news we can all be proud of: "This Way Out" has received another generous grant from The Kicking Assets Fund of the Tides Foundation.  While they've helped fund our program every year since 1995 – for which we are truly grateful – their grant provides less than a third of our annual bare-bones operating budget, so we continue to depend on your charitable donations to help keep us going.

There was also a nice story about "This Way Out" in a recent issue of "Diversity Rules," an LGBT publication distributed on the U.S. east coast, and online at www.diversity-rules.com.

And if you're in the Los Angeles area, or plan to visit for the West Hollywood Pride weekend, we'd love to see you at a wonderful benefit performance for "This Way Out" from 7-10pm on Saturday evening June 13th at the Talking Stick Coffee Lounge, 1411c Lincoln Boulevard (
at California) in Venice, California 90291 (their phone# is 310/450-6052):
Grassroots Acoustica #24: 2nd Annual Pride Edition, featuring Christopher Dallman, Dudley Saunders, Marc Francoeur, writer/actor Vincent James Arcuri reprising excerpts from his one-man show "Becoming Butch," a video presentation of Jon Gilbert Leavitt's "Pride At 40," duo Vertigo Road, host Mark Islam, artists-in-residence Tom Gramlich & Byron Pfeifer with Dan Raziel, and more TBA pending availability.
There is no cover charge (and no alcohol) – we’ll "pass the hat" for donations [www.grassrootsacoustica.org].

We'll keep this "Update" short (and hopefully sweet).  If you've heard "This Way Out" you know what we do, and how important our internationally distributed award-winning weekly public radio show is to listeners – both in and out of the closet – around the world.   As a public radio program we also uniquely educate non-LGBT listeners about the issues in or affecting our community.  If you've never listened you can click on the "Affiliate Stations" tab at www.thiswayout.org to find one of more than 175 local stations that carry our show, or tune in to free podcasts of "This Way Out" via the "Subscribe" button.

We wish you a Happy Pride, and thank you for your continuing – and vital – financial support!  Check out the "thank you" gift CDs described at our Web site, including the latest addition: a March 1978 conversation with then-newly-inaugurated San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk.

We'll happ
ily acknowledge donations of at least $250 on the air if you so desire.  Please know how much we genuinely appreciate each contribution, no matter the size.  We need everyone's support – at whatever level you can afford – to keep this vital LGBT institution going.

Donate via one of the PayPal links at www.thiswayout.org – tax-deductible in the U.S. – or postal-mail your donation to "This Way Out" at P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038.

Thank you!