[OutVoice] New music by Goss, Phillips and Clark + "Beebo's" Village + global LGBT news

tworadio at aol.com tworadio at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 06:49:09 CDT 2009

Airs on more than 175 local stations around the world... or
- Listen via our podcast! Click to freely subscribe at
www.thiswayout.org -
"THIS WAY OUT: the international lesbian & gay radio magazine
Program #1,100 - distributed 4/27/09
(hosted this week by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
Love, ambition and equality sing out in the "Audiofile";
It took a Village to liberate "The Queen of Lesbian Pulp Fiction";
A Senegal appeals court frees imprisoned gay AIDS educators,
queer-bashing murders belie Brazil's mythic liberation, pressure mounts
to protect Iraqi gays, Kiev cops detain and harass dozens in a gay bar
raid, Dublin demonstrates for marriage equality, and more LGBT news

- In "NewsWrap": An appeals court overturns the 8-year sentences of 9
imprisoned gay Senegalese AIDS educators... Brazil's Grupo Gay da Bahia
demands government action to curb the rising tide of queer-bashing
murders there, and the world media spotlight intensifies on the
governments of Iraq and the U.S. over escalating murders of gay men in
the American-occupied country, while dozens of patrons at a popular gay
nightspot in the Ukraine suffer detention and abuse by Kiev police...
up to a thousand demonstrators in Dublin protest the Irish government's
pending "inferior" civil partnerships bill, while same-gender partners
and trans-people experience legislative ups and downs in the U.S.
states of Connecticut, Nevada, New Hampshire, Maryland and
Washington... and more LGBT news from around the world (written by GREG
GORDON, with thanks to REX WOCKNER with BILL KELLEY, and reported this
week by LEIGH MOORE and MICHELE PLEASANT).

- Last time on "This Way Out" we heard how conventional 1950s American
housewife Ann Weldy overcame her husband's concerns when she achieved
success as a lesbian paperback romance novelist.  She became famous as
ANN BANNON... and ultimately came out herself.  Starting with "ODD GIRL
OUT," Bannon wrote six lesbian-themed novels from 1957 to 1962 that
became known as "THE BEEBO BRINKER CHRONICLES."  Our correspondent
STEVE PRIDE's conversation with the iconic author concludes this week
as Bannon describes Beebo's birth, recalls life in New York's Greenwich
Village during that era, and responds to being dubbed "the Queen of
Lesbian Pulp Fiction" (with intro/outro music from "Secret Love" by
DORIS DAY)[www.annbannon.com].

- Romance (excerpts from "Take Me On" and "Forty Years" from TOM GOSS'
"BACK TO LOVE"), seduction ("LYLAS" and "Swimming" from GRETCHEN
PHILLIPS' "I WAS JUST COMFORTING HER"), and commitment ("Courage of Our
Convictions" and "I'd Do 'Em All" from JULE CLARK's "CHANGE YOUR MIND")
shine as we open this month's "AUDIOFILE"  (hosted by CHRIS WILSON & JD
DOYLE and written and produced with CHRISTOPHER DAVID TRENTHAM)
[www.audiofile.org].
= artist-supplied contact info =
           TOM GOSS                  GRETCHEN PHILLIPS
           www.tomgossmusic.com      www.gretchen-phillips.com
                                     gretchen at gretchen-phillips.com

                           JULIE CLARK
                           www.julieclark.net
                           info at julieclark.net
"This Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit under the
corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.).
"This Way Out" is supported by a grant from the Kicking Assets Fund of
the Tides Foundation, and through tax-deductible donations from our
listeners -- thank you!
==> Please visit www.thiswayout.org to help keep "This Way Out" on the
air -- and choose from several unique LGBT music, history and culture
"thank you gift" CDs.
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio newsmagazine.
The program currently airs on more than 175 local community radio
stations around the world, via satellite in the U.S. on the Public
Radio Satellite System and Pacifica's KU band, "Down Under" through
distribution by the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia's
ComRadSat, globally at www.radio4all.net, www.indymedia.org, and
Pacifica's Audioport, and on audio CD from the producers.  Listeners
can also hear "This Way Out"  on short wave via Costa Rica-based global
station RFPI (Radio For Peace International/www.rfpi.org), across
Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the World
Radio Network (www.wrn.org), and on audio CD by individual subscription.
For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit
www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to P.O. Box 38327,
Los Angeles, CA 90038-0327.
************** Thank you for supporting "This Way Out"! ***************