[OutVoice] The governator speaks against Prop 8

Aaron-Carl aaroncarl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:19:53 CST 2008

Yes, you are right.  What I was proposing was in fact more of the "same
old."  And truthfully, you reacted exactly how I wanted you to.  You
thought about it.  You refused to just give up.  And most importantly,
you got the eff up and "lifted" this tired spirit.  Now, if only WE
could do this to an entire nation...

In a society where we're concerned about youth and beauty (or youth and
booty, whichever you prefer), we often forget about what's REALLY
important -- until it's too late.  Prop 8 is a perfect example...  In my
opinion, Prop 8 would've NEVER PASSED if our entire gay (and gay
friendly) nation stood against it -- if it took money, (for example) we
could've spent LESS on our Madonna/Cher/Tina/Bette concert tickets.  We
could've ALL scraped together $5 dollars here, $20 there; whatever we
could FOR AS LONG AS WE KNEW about Prop 8.  It worked for the Obama
campaign, as you all know!  We ALL got out, rocked the vote and made
history.  We got out there and did what we had to do.

I'm not saying that NOBODY helped to banish Prop 8.  I'm simply saying
that we (as a nation) could've done MORE to help our brothers and
sisters out there in California.  Truth be told, we are NOT the
minority.  Those right-wing bigots are actually the minority, but like
the 5% of the country's rich population, they somehow made us believe
that THEY have the power.  Going back to the Obama campaign, we've
proven that when WE are ready for change, WE come together, WE take our
power back and WE make it happen.  (Yes we can!)

Our GLBT society has come a long way, YES WE HAVE...  But we cannot
become complacent.  We can't be satisfied with LOGO when we deserve
MTV.  We can't be satisfied with Civil Unions when we deserve MARRIAGE.
And we damn sure can't rest on our laurels, when so many others (even in
our lifetime) have fought, bled and died to get us where we are TODAY...

Freedom and equality are so close, I can taste it.  I don't want to wait
for a future generation...  To paraphrase the J. G. Wentworth
commercial, "It's MY FREEDOM, and I WANT IT NOW!"

Here's 2 our change...
AC