[OutVoice] Happy Pride-from the artist formerly known as YOLANDA!

Roger Mapes rogermapes at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 09:07:23 CDT 2007

:)
Hi everybody and Happy Pride.
Its been almost 3 years since I performed as YOLANDA
and I thought it was time to check in, say hello, and
tell you a little bit of what happened then and what
I'm up to now.

First I want to thank all of my former band mates:
Robert, Anthony, Tosh, Robin, Dave, Dan, Jess and my
original band from Vermont: Adam, Jon, Martha, and
Eric. I also want to thank Larry Flick, Freddy
Freeman, Len Rogers,Jack Chan, Hedda Lettuce,Dan
Jenkins,and JD Doyle for their promotion of my work.
So many people were so kind to me-if I didn't mention
you by name-believe me I truly love you all and thank
you from the bottom of my heart. If I ever hurt
anyone's feelings along the way-I hope you will
forgive me and remember the good times we had.

So many events happened to me in 2005-it was a
wonderful and difficult year. I was elected into the
GLBT HAll of FAME thanks to so many of you my fans and
friends. In fact-from 2002-05 you honored me with many
awards-Outmusician of the Year, Stonewall Society
Awards, Fresh Fruit Theatre awards, articles in
magazines and radio interviews...you gave me so much
love for my work.. and I totally appreciate all that
you did for me.
At the same time I was experiencing a lot of heavy
stresses-extreme poverty, problems with my HIV,my
record deal falling apart,and other personal problems
that were taking their toll on me. Basically I was
getting tired,approaching 50, and was worried about
how  to make a living.
Lo and behold at this point comes the dramatic
rescue...lol. I met the love of my life-no kidding.
His name is Glen and we haven't left each others side
since Thanksgiving of 2005.
I decided I needed a break from performing and I put
everything into developing my relationship..and it has
sooooo paid off. I didn't know love could be this
wonderful (sounds so corny-I know-but true). I didn't
know at first that YOLANDA was over-it just has
happened that way. I loved what I did, but as time
went on, I felt that it was time for me to move on. I
will perform again as Roger Anthony Mapes but haven't
decided what that will look like yet.

In the meantime,I got a day job,and I have been
focusing on my artwork-creating a new group of
paintings. I also created a new online gallery and
have been selling my work online. I also archived
sound clips and downloadable songs on myspace, and
friends of mine have posted Yolanda videos on utube.

So that's about it for now. All is good -just
different. I would love to hear from you if you want
to email rogermapes at yahoo.com. If you want to see and
hear some of the stuff that I've been doing lately go
to:

www.rogeranthonymapes.com (click roger's paintings or
yolanda)

www.myspace.com/rogermapesmusic