[OutVoice] Pleased to say I got a neat writeup in Northeast In-Tune - June, 2006

SandyRapp at aol.com SandyRapp at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 05:46:28 CDT 2006

Northeast In  Tune - 6/15-7/14,  2006
_http://www.northeastintune.com/index.php?bd=reg&sb=land&article=060634_
(http://www.northeastintune.com/index.php?bd=reg&sb=land&article=060634)
Sandy Rapp
_www.sandyrapp.com_ (http://www.sandyrapp.com/)
By: Susan Frances
Sandy  Rapp is a folk singer and songwriter as well as an author and a gay &
lesbian rights activist. Her songs have a folksy delivery similar to tunes by
 Joan Baez, the trio - Peter, Paul, and Mary, the duo - Simon and Garfunkel,
and  a few Irish folk musicians like the Clancy Brothers, Tommy Makem, and
Brooklyn’s  own Black 47. Though Sandy’s bio says that she was trained on the
piano since  the age of 4, she prefers the acoustic textures of the guitar in
her ensembles  and a light douse of horns conveying a “Stars & Stripes” emblem
on the  songs.
Her track “Remember Rose: A  Song For Choice” features vocal harmonies by
the late Bella Abzug, the former  New York State Congresswoman. There is a
catchy phonic to the vocal melody that  recites:

“Get your laws off of me; I’m not your  property
Don’t plan my family; I’ll plan my  own
I don’t wanna be in your  theocracy
Remember liberty Remember  Rose”
The tune comes off like a battle  cry into facing the enemy, which in
essence, the song was designed to combat  legislation that hurt women’s rights to
having an abortion. Her songs are issue  oriented and have the socio-political
spirit of an activist. It’s the song’s  uprising stature that rings like a
Black 47 tune and many Irish folk music  pieces.
All of Sandy’s songs pronounce  social injustices like the track “Everyone
was at Stonewall,” which chronicles  the history of the contemporary gay civil
rights movement. There is a story  rhyme characteristic to her songs,
documenting situations that happened and  depicting social issues that feel ignored.
Her music means to expresses them in  a forceful in-you-face fashion.
Her song “Get A Voice” acts as a  catalyst for those who can’t find their
voices, to represent themselves when she  tells:

“Get a voice, it’s good to  tell
The sounds of freedom live and  well
Get a voice, it’s good to  say
The rainbow  everyday.
Get a  voice!”

Additionally, she is  the author of God’s Country: A Case Against Theocracy
which addresses the  heady issues of war, feminism, reproductive rights, and
the separation of church  and state, directly like her songs themes. Sandy has
released three albums, her  debut LP We The People (1997), her sophomore
release Flag and The  Rainbow (1999), and her latest disc Still Marchin’ (2005).
Her live performances have  included rallies mostly, at the National Women’s
Music Festival, the Gay  Millennium March on Washington, D.C., and the
National NOW Conventions at Seneca  Falls, Manhattan, and Washington, D.C. Wherever
there is a pep-rally for gay  & lesbian rights, Sandy Rapp is sure to be heard
whether playing live or  played on her record. Her music makes her  audible.