[OutVoice] A trans-man+a trans-boy+a Black woman ally+more!
greggordon2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 16:01:12 EDT 2015
"THIS WAY OUT: the international LGBT radio magazine"
Program #1,409 - distributed 03/30/15
Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world -
Check the "Affiliate Stations" list on our website, or
listen now via our free podcasts at www.thiswayout.org
- or on iTunes or Stitcher -
(hosted by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
"Scandal" star Kerry Washington is "GLAAD" to be an ally;
A selfie strategy bombs bathroom bias;
A 13-year-old trans-boy comes out at school;
The U.N. rejects Russia's resolution against equal employee benefits,
"religious freedom" hides hate in the U.S. Hoosier state, "Heather's
mommies" marry, and more global LGBT news!
- In "NewsWrap": The United Nations rebuffs a Russian resolution to deny family benefits to its legally partnered gay and lesbian staff members around the world, but a U.S. judge blocks federal family leave benefits for couples in states without marriage equality… Indiana Governor Mike Pence ignites a firestorm of national protest by signing a so-called "religious freedom" bill that essentially allows anti-LGBT bias in his state… Australia's parliament once again delays debate on a marriage equality bill as Liberal Party Prime Minister Tony Abbott resolutely refuses to allow his MPs a conscience vote on the issue… "Heather’s Two Mommies" are no longer living in sin… and more LGBT news from around the world (produced by STEVE PRIDE, written by GREG GORDON, and reported this week by MICHELLE-MARIE GILKESON and CAROLE MEYERS).
- What do trans-people want? Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness … and yes, a place to go to the bathroom. A 13-year-old's testimony illustrating the first three went viral this week, and a Minnesota activist's campaign for the fourth is another social media success. MSNBC's THOMAS ROBERTS hosted bearded "loo-liberator" MICHAEL HUGHES on his streamed LGBT show “Out There”.
- Meanwhile, 13-year-old TOM SOSNIK was coming out as trans at school, prompted by the suicide of yet another trans-teen. His moving speech has become an internet sensation.
- There was no hint of "Scandal" in actress KERRY WASHINGTON's speech at the 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles on March 21st. Ellen DeGeneres presented her with the media watchdog group’s Vanguard Award for her work as an LGBT ally. Washington’s remarks defined the meaning of the honor (with intro music from the "Scandal" TV theme, and an edited version of "Everyone Is Gay" by A GREAT BIG WORLD as outro music).
=================================== * ==============================
"This Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by the Yavanna Foundation, a bequest from the estate of Christopher David Trentham, and donations from our listener-supporters. Thank you!
=> Please log on to thiswayout.org to add your support [a tax-deductible charitable donation in the U.S.]. We really can't go on without you!
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio news magazine. The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North America, and in Australia via the Community Radio Network. Listeners can also hear "This Way Out" through our podcasts at thiswayout.org; on iTunes and Stitcher; across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the World Radio Networks (wrn.org); and on audio CD by individual subscription. For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to PO Box 1065, Los Angeles, CA 90078, USA.
********** Thank you for $upporting "This Way Out"! **********
More information about the OutVoice