[OutVoice] "Courting Marriage 2014"

Greg Gordon greggordon2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 13:22:17 CST 2014

We only ask you to contribute to our continued success once each year:
It’s now time for you to visit thiswayout.org and do your part!

"THIS WAY OUT: the international LGBT radio magazine"
Program #1,395 - distributed 12/22/14
Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world -
Check the "Affiliate Stations" list on our website, or
 listen now via our free podcasts at www.thiswayout.org
- or on iTunes or Stitcher -
(hosted by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
On this week’s special program, we look back at major legal
developments in the advance of marriage equality in the United States
during the past 12 months. By the end of 2013, 14 states and the
District of Columbia had opened civil marriage to same-gender couples.
"COURTING MARRIAGE 2014" reviews how the number of those states
more than doubled this year.
["NewsWrap" returns on our week of January 5th show.
Special programs fill "This Way Out" this week and next.]

- Equality opponents had always used "the best interests of children" to defend marriage bans – but those arguments were turned on their head in August by a 3-judge panel of the 7th U.S. CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS. And that’s where we begin "COURTING MARRIAGE 2014" [From "This Way Out" #1,379, 9-1-14]: "Children were at the heart of the arguments about marriage equality in hearings on INDIANA's marriage equality ban on August 26th at the CHICAGO-based 7th U.S. CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS. And everyone's been talking about how the 3-judge panel, led by Ronald Reagan appointee RICHARD POSNOR, pulverized every argument to maintain their civil marriage bans that the state attorneys offered. These excerpts also feature Posner's fellow 7th Circuit Judges ANN CLAIRE WILLIAMS, a Bill Clinton appointee; and DAVID HAMILTON, an Obama appointee. The victim of their legal rending was INDIANA SOLICITOR GENERAL THOMAS FISCHER. CAMILLA TAYLOR, Lambda Legal’s Marriage Project Director, and KENNETH FALK, Legal Director of the ACLU of Indiana, represented the Hoosier state plaintiff couples. "Buzzfeed's" CHRIS GEIDNER and Freedom to Marry's EVAN WOLFSON (each interviewed by guest host Jonathan Capehart on the August 30th edition of MSNBC's "Up with Steve Kornacki") provide some brief analysis [also includes intro/outro music from "Love Is All It Takes (To Make A Family)" written and performed by ROMANOVSKY & PHILLIPS]."

- [From "This Way Out" #1,385, 10-13-14]: "Thanks to the U.S. SUPREME COURT and the NINTH U.S. CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS, the U.S. has gone in the last 7 days from 19 to almost 35 states (and the District of Columbia) with full marriage equality.  MSNBC's RACHEL MADDOW provides analysis, The American Family Association's BRYAN FISCHER "drops in", and COMEDY CENTRAL's ersatz conservative political pundit STEPHEN COLBERT laments equality (includes a double cameo by Republican U.S. House Speaker JOHN BOEHNER) (with intro music from "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by the BEACH BOYS)."

- [From "This Way Out" #1,389, 11-10-14]: "The contrarian U.S. SIXTH CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS broke with four other federal appeals courts on November 6th by upholding bans on civil marriage for lesbian and gay couples in the states of KENTUCKY, MICHIGAN, OHIO and TENNESSEE. A day later, lawyers for the same-gender couple plaintiffs in all four states jointly decided to forgo asking a larger panel of the Sixth Circuit to reconsider the 3-judge panel's ruling and appeal directly to the U.S. Supreme Court. From her program the night of the ruling, MSNBC news anchor RACHEL MADDOW describes the winding road a case must take to reach the nation’s highest court, and comments on what the Supremes will now need to do; CHRISTIAN BRYANT of YouTube outlet "Newsy" details some specifics of the Sixth Circuit ruling; National Public Radio Legal Affairs Correspondent NINA TOTENBERG quotes from the ruling and dissects the rationale of the panel's 2-to-1 decision; and in mid-September comments, SUPREME COURT JUSTICE RUTH BADER GINSBURG predicted what's likely to happen next (with outro music from "Marry Me" by ARRO VERSE) + CODA: Supreme Court developments through December 21st.

- Quickie promo by STEVE PRIDE for next week's "PRIDE ON SCREEN 2014".
"This Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by the Yavanna Foundation, a bequest from the estate of Christopher David Trentham, and donations from our listener-supporters. Thank you!
=> Please log on to thiswayout.org to add your support [a tax-deductible charitable donation in the U.S.].  We really can't go on without you!
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio news magazine. The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net, www.indymedia.org, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North America, and in Australia via the Community Radio Network.  Listeners can also hear "This Way Out" through our podcasts at thiswayout.org; on iTunes and Stitcher; across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the World Radio Networks (wrn.org); and on audio CD by individual subscription. For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to PO Box 1065, Los Angeles, CA 90078, USA.
********** Thank you for $upporting "This Way Out"! **********