[OutVoice] Queer lit for kids+"Coming Out for Xmas"+global LGBT news

Greg Gordon greggordon2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 17 14:04:57 EST 2013

~ ~ Happy Holidays! ~ ~

"THIS WAY OUT: the international lesbian & gay radio magazine"
Program #1,342 - distributed 12/16/13
Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world -
Check the "Affiliate Stations" list on our website, or
 listen now via our free podcasts at www.thiswayout.org*, or on iTunes.
*http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/73255
(hosted by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
A book-learnin' researcher offers strategies to teach kids tolerance;
A "bi-u-ti-ful" new holiday song comes out for Christmas;
India's top court re-criminalizes gay sex and Australia's High Court
annuls territorial marriage equality, but Britain sets the date for
same-gender weddings, Croatia proposes "life partnerships", U.S.
Southern states succumb to National Guard I.D. orders, and more news

-
 In "NewsWrap": India's Supreme Court re-criminalizes private consensual
 adult same-gender sex by overturning the 2009 Delhi High Court ruling
that had struck down the colonial-era Penal Code Section 377 that
outlaws "carnal intercourse against the order of nature", while
Australia's High Court overturns the marriage equality law passed by the
 Australian Capital Territory, but the U.K. government announces that
the "Marriage (Same-Sex Couples) Act 2013", approved by parliament in
July, will take effect in England and Wales on 29 March 2014, and even
though 2 in 3 Croatians voted to constitutionally ban marriage equality
earlier this month, the center-left government of Prime Minister Zoran
Milanovic introduces a "life partnership" bill that would give
same-gender couples a few marriage–like rights… with Mississippi being
the last ends its defiance of a Pentagon order this week, U.S. Defense
Secretary Chuck Hagel announces that legally married lesbian and gay
National Guard enlistees will now have access in all 50 states to the
same spousal benefits as their heterosexual peers… Russian strongman
Vladimir Putin replaces the venerable state-run news agency RIA Novosti
with a Kremlin-controlled multimedia venture called Russia Today, and
chooses a leading TV anchor who infamously called for burning the hearts
 of dead gay people to head up the new venture… and more LGBT news from
around the world (produced STEVE PRIDE, written by GREG GORDON, and
reported this week by PAMELA BROOKS and MICHAEL ALLAN).

- When
shopping for LGBT-and-Questioning-friendly children's literature, you
might wish upon a star, or you could consult BJ EPSTEIN's "ARE THE KIDS
ALL RIGHT?" She discussed her survey of queer-inclusive books for kids
with EMMA MARVIN and ANDY THOMAS on Bristol Community FM's "ShoutOut"
[www.awaywithwords.se].

- Former American Idol contestant CRYSTAL
 BOWERSOX accompanied the release of her new single "COMING OUT FOR
CHRISTMAS” with a tweet saying "Let me set the record straight. I'm bi.
Pun intended" [www.crystalbowersox.com/].
"This
 Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the
corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by
donations from our listener-supporters. Thank you!
=> Please log
on to thiswayout.org to add your support [a tax-deductible charitable
donation in the U.S.].  We really can't go on without you!
On
 the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio news magazine.
The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio
stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net,
www.indymedia.org, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North
America, and in Australia via the Community Radio Network.  Listeners
can also hear "This Way Out" through our podcasts at thiswayout.org;
across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the
World Radio Networks (wrn.org); and on audio CD by individual
subscription. For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please
visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to PO Box
1065, Los Angeles, CA 90078, USA.
********** Thank you for $upporting "This Way Out"! **********