[OutVoice] Bradley Manning's mea culpa+more global LGBT news

Greg Gordon greggordon2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 12:54:07 CDT 2013

"THIS WAY OUT: the international lesbian & gay radio magazine"
Program #1,325 - distributed 08/19/13
Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world -
Check the "Affiliate Stations" list on our website, or
 listen now via our free podcasts at www.thiswayout.org*, or on iTunes.
*http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/70555
(hosted by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
Will Bradley Manning’s explanatory mea culpa mitigate his prison time?
A "Rainbow (more than a) Minute" celebrates MN and R.I. equality;
A U.S. evangelical is charged with Ugandan crimes against humanity,
Prop 8 is propelled to the 9th circle of hell, German Evangelicals
marry unionized same-gender couples, a Russian TV anchor is fired for
coming out on the air, a WWE Superstar pins the closet, and more news

-
 In "NewsWrap": In a precedent-setting lawsuit, professional
Massachusetts-based homophobe Scott Lively is ordered to stand trial in
U.S. federal court for "fomenting" crimes against humanity in Uganda…
the California Supreme Court drives the final nail into the coffin of
the state's marriage equality-banning Proposition 8… Germany's
Protestant Church sanctions its first marriage ceremony for a
same-gender couple… the International Olympic Committee vows to punish
any athlete at the Sochi Winter Games in February who violates Russia's
law banning "gay propaganda", while prominent Russian TV newscaster
Anton Krasovsky comes out on the air and is promptly fired… out Puerto
Rican pro featherweight boxer Orlando Cruz announces his engagement…
World Wresting Entertainment (WWE) Superstar DARREN YOUNG casually comes
 out to "TMZ" [with excerpts]… and more LGBT news from around the world
(written by GREG GORDON, produced by STEVE PRIDE, and reported this week
 by JENN MAHONEY & JASON PROCTOR).

- Marriage equality sings
out in the U.S. states of MINNESOTA and RHODE ISLAND in this "RAINBOW
(more than a) MINUTE" (read by TALIA MOSER and produced at WRIR-FM in
Richmond, VA by JUDD PROCTOR & BRIAN BURNS, and with brief intro
music by JOHN LENNON and THE DIXIE CUPS).

- The sentencing phase
in the case of U.S. Army Private BRADLEY MANNING reached its climax this
 week when the 25-year-old whistleblower took the stand. Manning's
unsworn statement was prefaced by testimony from family members and
expert witnesses. The first of two reports comes from ALICE OLLSTEIN of
"Free Speech Radio News" (with comments by Firedoglake reporter KEVIN
GOSZTOLA); Manning himself spoke for only about three minutes, saying,
"I'm sorry that my actions hurt people and I am sorry that I hurt the
United States." He made reference to the fact that he was "dealing with a
 lot of issues" but said it was no excuse, and that he had not
understood the "broader effects" of his actions. He asked the judge to
let him have the opportunity to become a better person and eventually
return to a productive place in society -- rather than spend all of the
90 years in prison he faces. While some called Manning's apology a
reversal, independent journalist ALEXA O'BRIEN had a different view. She
 was interviewed by "Democracy Now!'s" NERMEEN SHAIKH and AMY GOODMAN
(with brief segment intro music by THE BEATLES).

- A final
"You've been listening to 'TWO'" I.D. by CHRIS FREEMAN of PANSY DIVISION
 (intro'd by a snippet from their "That's So Gay").
"This
 Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the
corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by
grants from the Kicking Assets Fund of the Tides Foundation and the
Yavanna Foundation, a generous bequest from the estate of Christopher
David Trentham, and donations from our listener-supporters. Thank you!
=>
 Please log on to thiswayout.org to add your support [a tax-deductible
charitable donation in the U.S.].  We really can't go on without you!
On
 the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning
internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio news magazine.
The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio
stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net,
www.indymedia.org, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North
America, and in Australia via the Community Radio Network.  Listeners
can also hear "This Way Out" through our podcasts at thiswayout.org;
across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the
World Radio Networks (wrn.org); and on audio CD by individual
subscription. For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please
visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to P.O. Box
38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038-0327.
********** Thank you for $upporting "This Way Out"! **********