[OutVoice] QMH for January, Jazz Music Special -- Some of That Jazz

jddoyle1 jddoyle1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 13:49:59 CST 2012

QMH for January, Jazz Music Special
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/jan2012.html

Welcome to Queer Music Heritage and my 12th Anniversary show. I am jokingly calling it "Some of That Jazz," as my goal is to share with you jazz music by as many GLBT artists as I can, and that turned out to be 62 artists and musicians in a six-hour show.

My special interviews are with pianist Fred Hersch and vocalists Kellye Gray and Mark Winkler, and they'll talk mostly about their music, but will also touch on the subject of gays in the jazz world. And, Part 4 I’m loosely calling my Women’s Music Movement Jazz segment, which runs literally from A to Z.

Part 1 – 59:12
Lea DeLaria – All That Jazz (2001)
Fred Hersch – Work (2011)
Fred Hersch Interview
Fred Hersch – In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (2011)
Mark Murphy & Fred Hersch – Last Night When We Were Young (1994)
Fred Hersch – Out Someplace (Blues for Matthew Shepard) (2000)
Ann Hampton Callaway – Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (2003)
Chris Connor – All About Ronnie (1981)
Fred Hersch Trio – Mrs. Parker of K.C. (2010)
Fred Hersch – Lush Life (1996)
Fred Hersch – Down Home (2011)

Part 2 – 62:09
Kellye Gray – Tomato Kiss (1996)
Kellye Gray Interview
Kellye Gray – Everything Must Change (2008)
Allison Miller – Cheyenne (2010)
Carmen McRae – I’m Always Drunk in San Francisco (1967)
Kellye Gray – Who Am I Who Are You? (1996)
Kellye Gray – The Island (1990)
Dave Catney – First Flight (1990)
Dave Catney – Little Prayer (1994)
Carla White – Harlem Nocturne (1991)
John Tartaglia – If You Were Gay (2008)
Michael Schiefel – I Must Have That Man (2003)

Part 3 – 62:36
Mark Winkler – Til I Get It Right (2009)
Mark Winkler Interview
Mark Winkler – Sissies (2009)
Play It Cool – Jazz Is a Special Taste (2006)
Play It Cool – Welcome to Hollywood (2006)
Mark Winkler – After Hours (2011)
Mark Murphy – Too Late Now (2007)
Mettaphor – Pride (2009)
Jo Jo Smith – Miss Del Rey (1999)
Sandra Cartolari – Gui Gui (1999)
Theo Bleckmann – We Kiss in a Shadow (2006)
Josh Klipp – Secret Love (2011)
Cecil Taylor Quartet – Johnny Come Lately (1957)
Spencer Day – Till You Come to Me (2009)

Part 4 – 58:04
Alive! – Call It Jazz (1981)
Mary Watkins – Witches’ Revenge (1978)
Swingshift – You’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Here (1981)
Baba Yaga – Charlotte’s Web (1978)
Billy Tipton Memorial Saxophone Quartet – Tri-Monk (1996)
Mimi Baczewska – Jazsong (1989)
Mimi Fox – Against the Grain (1987)
KJ Denhert – She Loves You (2003)
Deuce – The Whole Enchilada (1996)
Montclair Women’s Big Band – Fly Me to the Moon (2005)
Mary Lofstrom – Ginger Comes to Stay (2002)
Suede – I Like to Lead When I Dance (2008)
Zrazy – Remember That You Did It First With Me (1999)

Part 5 – 62:08
Jennifer Leitham – Studio City Stomp (2006)
Billy Tipton – Blue Skies (1956)
Veronica Klaus – Tomorrow Is My Turn (2007)
Stephanie Crawford – I Have the Feeling I’ve Been Here Before (2008)
Mabel Dawn Davis aka Deian McBride – Woman on the Stage (2003)
Trinity – A Good Man Is Hard to Find (1998)
Ron Mesa – I’m Waitin’ for the Song to Come to Me (2000)
Julian Yeo – Love for Sale (2010)
Ian Shaw – I Keep Going Back to Joe’s (2001)
Steven Kowalczyk – Who Do You Do (1995)
Steven Santoro – Whisper My Name (2007)
Gary Burton & Chick Corea – Falling Grace (1973)
Drew Paralic – The Sweetest Crime (2010)
Dave Koz – One Last Thing (2003)
Patricia Barber – Bye Bye Blackbird (2000)
Avi Wisnia – No Scrubs ( 2010)

Part 6 – 61:24
Billy Strayhorn – Take the A Train (1965)
Stephane Grapelli – Satin Doll (1975)
Andy Bey – Lush Life (2010)
Darius de Haas – Day Dream (2002)
Frances Faye – Drunk with Love medley (1951)
Terese Genecco – Night and Day (2007)
Mark Murphy – Blues for Frances Faye (2002)
Chris Connor – How Long Has This Been Going On (1957)
Chantel Chamberlain – Since I Fell for You (2006
John Alcorn – The Man I Love (2002)
Thomas Harlow – Loverman (2003)
Dave Downing Trio – Oh Boy (1994)
Patrick Arena – Barefoot Boy (2008)
Gallavin – Mad About the Boy (2009)

You can stream or download the show anytime, at
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/jan2012.html

Thanks for listening,
JD Doyle

http://www.OutRadio.com
http://www.QueerMusicHeritage.com

All segments of both shows are archived.
That’s 12 years of very gay music.