[OutVoice] Some SWS updates and important changes.

Len Rogers SWS len at stonewallsociety.com
Thu Nov 17 14:17:23 CST 2011

Hi All,
      I need to bring you up to date on some things happening here at SWS and related websites. Several of you have emailed about OutVoice banner ads, and the "Donate" button being gone from the websites. Not to forget those of you who have emailed and or called about my "silence" over the last few weeks. I also want to let you know the OV Top 20 CD Chart will be posted by tomorrow, 11-18-2011.
      This is an email I have contemplated and dreaded for the last several weeks. Yes those who have emailed are correct all "donate" buttons have been removed from the SWS Network websites. First of all I want again to thank those of you who have utilized the donate buttons and or the OV Banner ads. You have indeed made a huge difference in the outcome of this email. However, as of November 1, 2011 SWS will no longer have donate buttons on any websites. Also as on November 1, 2011 SWS Network and any related websites will no longer utilize or accept PayPal for any reason. I was contacted on 10-30-2011 by PayPal stating that they required additional information from me proving non-profit and or charity status. This was directly in response to the recent fund raiser for the GLBT Hall Of Fame.
    I added the donate buttons after my hospitalization in 2008 at the request of several artists and members. Just an explanation. Those of you who know me are aware that I have never been really comfortable with donate buttons. As I investigated the reason for PayPal's request and insinuation I have found some really disturbing facts and information. The most disturbing was that the action by PayPal was taken as direct response from complaints received over the GLBT Hall Of Fame fundraiser. I was told by an acquaintance at PayPal that at least two of these complaints were filed by persons from the GLBT community specifically the GLBT music community. The identity of the persons making the complaints was also shared. However, as this information was shared from one GLBT community member to another it was also done as FYI and not as proof, as this would cause the person who shared the information to become unemployed. I do not return such kindness with actions to cause unemployment.
      I am also aware that maybe some homophobia may play a part in this. Hate and threatening emails have escalated since the GLBT Hall Of Fame promotion. So I do not really know if the information provided was accurate or of another nature. It is interesting that the information provided is believable as I have had pretty big issues with the persons identified. Again there is no proof. The bottom line here is that this is not the first problem with PayPal. However it is my last problem with PayPal. When the PayPal debit card was stolen last year it took an unacceptable amount of time for PayPal to reissue the card. Well actually, you have to reapply not like with your bank where the stolen card is cancelled and a new one sent. During the period of reapply some limitations are placed on the PayPal account. With that experience I have since taken money from the PayPal account where PayPal has total unrestricted control and moved it to our bank where there is regulation and a more professional relationship. I do want to share that because of moving the money to the bank no donated funds were lost or retained by PayPal.
    I am in the process of selecting the next payment method to be used on the SWS Network websites. Which is why one reason I have been "silent" and the OV list is late in being posted. Merchant accounts have tons of fees and "rates" so it is indeed a much longer process that I had anticipated. I am also considering Google's service and checking into Amazon. My goal is to insure the most efficient program with regard to processing time and costs. I will of course keep you posted on my decision. My goal is to have payment processing available by next week. Those customers waiting to pay a hosting, design or website management fee are fine. So no problems there. Other than this action has not just caused the donate buttons to be taken down. It has also prevented me from collecting payments due from clients. So this jeopardized SWS Network and my income for services provided. Which greatly disturbs me.
     As a result I am in a position of insuring that the SWS Network as a self-sustaining entity. Meaning that from this point on all SWS Network websites must at least generate the funds to cover their existence. So some changes will be taking place over the next few weeks at all SWS Network websites. The SWS Artist promotion will only be free to those who only wish a link on the SWS GLBT Artist Directory and at GLBT Artists.com. That will remain free if the artist has a link to either StoneWall Society, OutVoice, and or the GLBT Artists.com website. If an artist wants to use the promotional services available there will be an annual membership fee of $15.00.
   I have fought doing this for years. However this recent action has left me with either that option or Len gets a job with a salary. Which would take time away from managing the SWS Network. Which would probably begin the end of the network. I will evaluate how this is working on a monthly basis. If after six months a website is not self sustained with regard to covering the existence of the website, then that website will in all likelihood be closed. Future support of the SWS Network will either be by the new membership fees, promotional services, or hosting service income, not donations. Again many thanks to those who have supported!!!
     But to be honest this has been pretty much the same people, again and again who have been the SWS Network financial supporters. I do not feel it is fair and or appropriate for a few to pay for the many. So promotional efforts on my behalf and SWS network will be focused on those who have or do support. I have always had web hosting available at a very good rate. However only one SWS artist is utilizing that service. I have always had services like meta tag creation, again at a great rate. Also only one artist has taken advantage of that. Just sharing how the support comes in. Not that I do not appreciate those who have shown personal and Network support by donating, I do. just not something that will fit with the future of the SWS Network.
     Rainbow World Radio will remain commercial free and no advertising outside of SWS Network promotions will be present in programs and or on the RWR website. The GLBT Hall Of Fame may carry some appropriate advertising depending on the final determination of what is the best way to insure the Hall's long life. On that subject, the GLBT Hall Of Fame, I have met with two attorneys and three business advisors. As well many of you have emailed with your thoughts - HUGE THANKS! All of the advisory meetings have ended the same. I need to insure the protection of property rights with regard to the LOGO and or name of the Hall. Some may know this better as protecting my brand. Several of you have emailed with the same suggestion. So I am pursuing that first. I am in process of receiving the necessary information on having the Hall's logo registered. My understanding is that I may go ahead and use TM. I should have confirmation on that next week. My advisors have doubts about non-profit being the best way to go with regard to the Hall. Non-profit and not-for-profit are limited and to some degree difficult when it comes to financial support available. If the Hall needs to generate income to support that would be better served as a DBA, LLC or corporation. The costs on those vary and can get up there. So I am looking at several ways to meet those goals as well.
     I have no problems with the SWS Network covering costs for RWR and the GLBT Hall Of Fame. However there is one website, service which has only covered the fairly high expense once. That being the Pride In The Arts website and program. Neither event paid for itself. The awards only paid for themselves once. And this year due to either product availability and or finance awards from the last awards event have yet to be sent. As this program is not a financial self server nor have I been successful in getting the awards out in what I view to be the correct time, I am suspending as of today the Pride In The Arts program. I am not sure what I will do with the domain yet, it does have a life value. All PITA award information will be included on the SWS Network website. that site is in redesign to cover the entire network. Website hosting services, design services, art services, and the like will in the very near future be available from On Equal Grounds.com.
    Sorry about the length of this email but I felt you all had a right to know. I will be sending all artists in all genre's information on changes and related dates in the next two weeks. As for my reaction to the instigation of this, well I am disturbed at best. Whether from haters or our community that complaints were filed due to the Hall is very upsetting to me. Not much else to say there. As always if you have comments and or questions please feel free to contact me. And again a huge thanks to those who have been supportive! Not something I will ever forget. You are in my heart!
All the best,
Len
Founder
StoneWall Society
www.stonewallsociety.com
www.stonewallsociety.net

Equality-Net!
www.equalitynet.net

Artists For Equality
www.artistsforequality.net artists portal open for registration
www.artistsforequality.com public portal

GLBT Artists
www.glbtartists.com

Rainbow World Radio
www.rainbowworldradio.com
GLBT Hall Of Fame
www.glbthalloffame.com
Pride In The Arts Annual Awards & Festival
www.prideinthearts.com
OutVoice The GLBT Top 40 Chart since 1996!
www.outvoice.net
www.outvoice.org