[OutVoice] "This Way Out" Holiday Season Update

This Way Out tworadio at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 13:09:36 CST 2011

THE TOP TEN REASONS TO $UPPORT "THIS WAY OUT"
  during our annual Holiday Season fundraising effort
  (if everyone contributes even a little, we can all do a lot!)

(1) We've chatted so far this year with:
= lesbian-feminist humorist Kate Clinton
= the U.S. National Center for Transgender Equality's Mara Keisling
= "Tales of the City" writer Armistead Maupin
= MBE-award-winning British lesbian activist Clare Dimyon
= leading Moscow-based Russian gay activist Nikolai Alekseev
= revered U.S. lesbian writer Jane Anderson
= trailblazing Canadian lesbian singer/songwriter k.d. lang
= "Pomo Afro Homos" Thandiwe Thomas Deshazor, Brian Freeman, Dazié Rustin Grego and Rashad Pridgen
= America's premiere "Gender Outlaw" Kate Bornstein
= British lesbian writer Sarah Waters ("Tipping the Velvet")
= "It Gets Better" co-creator and sex advice columnist Dan Savage
= Comic actor Leslie Jordan ("Will & Grace", "Sordid Lives")
= trans-actress/enterainer Alexandra Billings
= everyone's favorite "Nellie" Alison Arngrim
= Director David Chalmers of the new British international LGBT rights group Kaleidoscope and Nigerian expatriate/activist Bisi Alimi
= irreverent columnist/author Michael Musto
= performer Steven Fales ("Confessions Of A Mormon Boy")

(2) With reports from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe and most everywhere else, "This Way Out" includes "NewsWrap", community radio's only weekly international LGBT newscast.

[sign up to make monthly donations of $10 or more at
    www.thiswayout.org]

(3) We celebrated the 10th anniversary of the modern world's first same-gender marriages by revisiting our on-scene coverage from Amsterdam on April 1, 2001, and took an intimate look back at the life of pioneering U.S. activist Frank Kameny soon after he passed away on National Coming Out Day at the age of 86, with copious comments from the audio archives by the trailblazer himself.

(4) We provided "sound" coverage of:
= the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals' consideration of the federal constitutionality of California's marriage equality-banning Proposition 8, and oral arguments at the state Supreme Court on the legal standing of the ballot measure's sponsors to defend it
= President Obama signing Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal legislation, and reflections and celebrations on the first day that repeal became official
= the first hearings on repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) in the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
= the passage of civil marriage equality legislation in New York, and the first legal weddings of lesbian and gay couples in the Empire State

(5) We give voice to, and provide support for, LGBT people around the world who cannot speak out for themselves, and uniquely educate non-gay listeners about the issues of concern to sexual minorities... and we can't keep doing that without you!

[make a one-time donation at
    www.thiswayout.org]

(6) We entertained you with:
= Queer music maestro JD Doyle's spotlights on trailblazing lesbian folk singer Maxine Feldman and groundbreaking gay singer/songwriter Steven Grossman... and lots of contemporary music by "out" LGBT performers
= Steve Pride's clips-filled movie previews of "Every Day", "Beginners", "Gun Hill Road", "Weekend", "Dirty Girl", and "We Were Here" -- with insights from the filmmakers themselves

(7) We featured comments by:
= "Glee's" "Kurt Hummel", the equally-"out" actor Chris Colfer
= Mary Bonauto of the U.S. legal advocacy group Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders
= 19-year-old University of Iowa student Zach Wahls celebrating his two-mom-headed household in the state legislature
= U.S. anti-gay activist Scott Lively and homophobic Congresswoman and Republican presidential wannabe Michele Bachmann
= openly-gay aide to U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Daniel Hernandez, one of the life-saving heroes of the Tucson, Arizona mass shootings
= Jon Davidson of the U.S. LGBT legal advocacy group Lambda Legal
= U.S. military expert/equality activist Aaron Belkin
= United Nations Human Rights Commissioner Navi Pillay
= megastar Lady Gaga in Rome at the 2011 EuroPride celebration

(8) We enlightened you with:
= "Queer Life and Literature" commentaries by Janet Mason
= "Rainbow Minutes" profiling key figures in LGBT history produced by Judd Proctor and Brian Burns

(9) Supporting "This Way Out" is the right (and left) thing to do -- and it's a charitable nonprofit tax deduction in the U.S.!

[sign up to make monthly donations of $10 or more at
    www.thiswayout.org]

(10) And coming soon to an audio outlet near you:
= Behind the scenes at "Making The Boys", "Sons of Tennessee Williams", and "Until We Have Faces", plus Steve Pride's annual "Pride On Screen" review of the best LGBT moving images on the big and small screen this year...
But wait!  There's more!!  Conversations with:
= award-winning writer Michael Cunningham
= Canadian comedian Deanne Smith
= International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission Executive Director Cary Alan Johnson
= Kenyan gay activist/refugee Lourence Misedah
= famed gay playwright Robert Patrick
= defrocked "Straight But Not Narrow" marriage equality Methodist minister Jimmy Creech
= veteran activist Cleve Jones
= transgender teen singer/songwriter Ryan Cassata

Check out the selection of "thank you gift" CDs at our website -- and heartfelt thanks for your support from the dozens of on-air and behind the scenes volunteers who make "This Way Out" possible each and every week!

[make a one-time donation at
    www.thiswayout.org]

You can also postal mail your donation to "This Way Out" at P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038 (USA).

Please also encourage your friends and colleagues to postal mail a donation or to log on to www.thiswayout.org to support "This Way Out"!

  Warmest wishes for a healthy and happy holiday season from our family to you and yours, and for a productive, prosperous and pleasure-filled 2012!