[OutVoice] Trans-"Riot Acts" & "We Were Here"+global LGBT news

This Way Out tworadio at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 12:35:35 CDT 2011

"THIS WAY OUT: the international lesbian & gay radio magazine"
  Program #1,231 - distributed 10/31/11
  Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world... or
  Listen now via our free podcasts at www.thiswayout.org or on iTunes.
  (hosted this week by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
  "We Were Here" documents the advent of AIDS in San Francisco;
  "Riot Acts" traces the travels of trans-musicians;
  Taipei Pride parades for equality, there's renewed life for Uganda's
  "Kill the Gays" bill, Brazil's top appeals court favors same-gender
  nuptials, Queensland lawmakers consider civil unions while New
  Hampshire legislators advance a marriage equality repeal bill, and more

- In "NewsWrap": A record crowd numbering as many as 50,000 colorfully march in Taipei in the Taiwanese capital's 9th annual Pride parade... Uganda's infamous "Kill the Gays" bill is apparently back on the front burner, and Nigerian lawmakers consider harsher laws against homosexuality in their country... Brazil's top appeals court becomes the highest court in Latin America's most populous nation to rule in favor of marriage equality, while Denmark's government announces a proposal to upgrade currently-available registered partnerships for gay and lesbian couples to full marriage equality... a civil unions bill is introduced in the Australian state of Queensland's parliament, while the Republican-controlled legislature in New Hampshire is on track to repeal the U.S. state's 2009 marriage equality law... leading Russian gay rights activist Nikolai Alekseev announces his resignation from the advocacy groups he's led since 2005... and other LGBT news from around the world (written by GREG GORDON, produced by STEVE PRIDE, and reported this week by SARAH SWEENEY and VASH BODDIE).

- The world contracted Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 30 years ago this year. Like an unrelenting hurricane, AIDS roiled the city of SAN FRANCISCO for two decades until the medical advancements of the late 90s brought the eye of the storm. Those death years left the city ravaged and exhausted – yet the memories seem to be fading for a younger generation. Our media correspondent STEVE PRIDE found a moving refresher course in "WE WERE HERE", a new documentary that utilizes San Francisco’s experience to encourage an overdue conversation – both about the history of the epidemic, and the lessons to be learned from it (with clips and comments by filmmaker DAVID WEISSMAN, and outro music from "Ready for the 80s" by THE VILLAGE PEOPLE).

[www.wewereherfilm.com]

- The film "RIOT ACTS" has been called "a ‘trans-fabulous rockumentary’ representing the multi-dimensional lives of transgender and gender variant musicians."  According to our queer music correspondent JD DOYLE it’s not about politics or body parts – but it does get personal (with music, clips, and comments by performer/filmmaker MADSEN MINAX).

[www.actorslashmodel.com]

"This Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by donations from our listeners.
=> Please log on to www.thiswayout.org to add your support [a tax-deductible charitable donation in the U.S.].  We literally can't go on without you!
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio newsmagazine. The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net, www.indymedia.org, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North America, and "Down Under" through distribution by the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia.  Listeners can also hear "This Way Out" through our podcasts at thiswayout.org; across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the World Radio Network (www.wrn.org); and on audio CD by individual subscription. For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038-0327.
********** Thank you for $upporting "This Way Out"! **********