[OutVoice] Cassettes

SandyRapp at aol.com SandyRapp at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 09:18:10 CST 2011

Hey JD you're terrific.

In a message dated 1/14/2011 9:58:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jddoyle1 at aol.com writes:

Sandy,
   That's a difficult  one...........as a collector and archivist I seek
out cassettes by GLBT  artists because very often that was the only format in
which an artist  released a work, so it's valuable history to me. I've done
entire shows,  several times, based just on songs available only on tape.
And you've sent me  your tapes, thank you..:) But if the material was or is
now on CD, I prefer  that, for sound quality and ease of use.

As a collector I've also found that it's  hard to find those rare releases,
dealers (such as on eBay) just do not want  to bother with them. I quick
trip to eBay and inputting a "search" in "music"  on the word "gay" got me
1144 hits, 11 of them tapes, and none of those were  particularly collectable.

But your question is what should an  artist do with quantities of their old
releases on tape. The only thing that  comes to mind is to donate them to
GLBT archives...and a catch is to check  first to see if even they would want
them. They may not have any capability  for visitors to play tapes. This is
almost always the situation I've found  when visiting archives around the
country, if they even have a music  collection. And as they would not likely
want "quantities" of a donated item,  the option of you tracking down the
whole list of these archives (and I'm not  sure where that list is) would be
more work than most might want. [Of course  you would want to assure the
Lesbian Herstory Archives gets a couple copies of  each; their tape collection
is superb.]

Okay, sorry, I know I gave you more of a  discussion than a solution....:)

Oh, for those out there who have  collections of tapes by GLBT artists, and
are ready to throw them  away...please, ask me first, I may take the off
your hands and at least you'd  know they are ending up in an archives that
appreciates them. I've "inherited"  two or three collections like this in the
past, and loved  it.

JD Doyle
_www.queermusicheritage.com_ (http://www.queermusicheritage.com/)

In a message dated 01/14/11 08:33:49 Central Standard Time, SandyRapp