[OutVoice] Queer Music History 101

keyscohen at aol.com keyscohen at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 15:06:38 CST 2011

1997 was a very good year :)

-----Original Message-----
From: TsunamiInc at aol.com
To: jddoyle1 at aol.com; outvoice at outvoice.net
Sent: Fri, Feb 4, 2011 8:23 am
Subject: Re: [OutVoice] Queer Music History 101

JD, you rock! This looks great. Do you have plans to extend the study past
1985?

Jamie

Jamie  Anderson
singer-songwriter-parking lot attendant
_www.jamieanderson.com_ (http://www.jamieanderson.com/)
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?id=557300426
613-791-3224

In  a message dated 2/3/2011 5:37:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jddoyle1 at aol.com  writes:

I am  pleased to announce Queer Music History 101, a special project of my
website/radio show Queer Music Heritage. It was designed as a study guide,
or  lesson plan, and I hope it appeals to those LGBT Studies courses now
found at  many universities around the country. Having produced my radio show
for over  eleven years I naturally feel that our music history should be
preserved and  shared, and this would be a logical way for me to give back to
the  community.

The basic structure is a two-hour audio portion, that  includes my
describing the history using short song clips, 65 in all, spanning  1926 to
1985.
But a more in-depth, and I feel, preferred option is to follow  the lesson
itself, either on a website version or in a special “flipbook.” The  flipbook
option was chosen, realizing the intended audience, to help keep the
attention of a generation weaned on iPads, etc. Built into the lesson are a
dozen
“questions” that may prompt classroom discussion or additional research,
or be assigned as essays.

And also in the lesson you can stop and  click to hear the entire songs, as
that fleshes out the understanding of that  song and artist’s place in
history. There are also included in the lesson over  130 links for additional
information, many for artist interviews on my  website. Of course internet
access is required, but the lesson is completely  free, and for simplicity I
have given the lesson its own domain,  at

http://www.qmh101.com

Of course you do not have to be taking  a course to enjoy it…:) The
two-hour audio portion will also serve double  duty, as my February QMH show,
here
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/feb2011.html
and of course you  can find the playlist in both locations

JD  Doyle
OutVoice mailing  list
OutVoice at outvoice.net