[OutVoice] QMH for August - The Drag King Show

jddoyle1 jddoyle1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 13:36:48 CDT 2011

QMH for August 2011
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/aug2011.html

The Drag King Show….in two parts. First, the modern history, including interviews with Anderson Toone, Leigh Crow, and for a local touch, Robin Mack of the Houston Gendermyn. Part 2 honors the male impersonators, and others, who were the forefathers of modern Drag Kings. I’m calling it Drag Kings, The Prequel. Lots of often-neglected history, and gender issues, in these shows.

Part 1 – 68:28
Betty Thornton – Vice Versa (1945)
Rev. J.M. Gates – Manish Women (1930)
Bucktooth Varmints – Billy the Dykeabilly (~1993-1995)
Anderson Toone Interview
Bucktooth Varmints – Brillcreem Blues (~1993-1995)
Hillbillies on the Moon – Swing Like a King (1996)
Murray Hill commercial (2007)
Hillbillies on the Moon – Hillbillies on the Moon (1996)
Anderson Toone QMH ID
Leigh Crow Interview
Mighty Slim Pickins – Red Headed Woman (2007)
Mighty Slim Pickins – 13 Times (2008)
King TuffNstuff – 3-Hour Man (2008)
Sister George – Handle Bar (2000)
Robin Mack Interview
Wood – The Devil Went Down to Georgia (live, 2007)
Bitch & Animal – Drag King Bar (2000)

Part 2 – 65:45 - The Prequel
Bill Meyerl & Gwen Farrar – Masculine Women & Feminine Men (1926)
Vesta Tilley – Good Luck to the Girl Who Loves a Soldier (1915)
Vesta Tilley – Where Are the Girls? (1917)
Vesta Tilley – The Girls I Left Behind Me (~1917)
Ella Shields – If You Knew Susie Like I Know Susie (1925)
Ella Shields – Burlington Bertie from Bow (1934)
Ella Shields – Everybody’s Singing (1927)
Hetty King – Piccadilly (1934)
Hetty King – Fill ‘Em Up (1934)
Original Bessie Brown – Senorita Mine (~1927)
Lillyn Brown – Badland Blues (1921)
Gladys Bentley – Worried Blues (1928)
Gladys Bentley – Thrill Me Till I Get My Thrill (1945)
Billy Tipton – Blue Skies (1956)
Billy Tipton – Rubber Dolly (1949)
Beverly Shaw – I’m Nobody’s Baby (~1950)
Storme Delaverie – There Will Never Be Another You (1987)
Faith Nolan – Mannish Gal (2008)

You can stream or download the show anytime, at
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/aug2011.html

Thanks for listening,
JD Doyle

http://www.OutRadio.com
http://www.QueerMusicHeritage.com

All segments of both shows are archived.
That’s 11.66 years of very gay music.