[OutVoice] QMH for April 2011: Straight Artists, Queer Songs – The 1960’s

jddoyle1 jddoyle1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 13:55:22 CDT 2011

QMH for April 2011: Straight Artists, Queer Songs – The 1960’s
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/apr2011.html

This month I'm playing for you songs with gay or lesbian references from the last decade before Stonewall, and every letter of GLBT is covered. It's a look at how we were portrayed in song by those sometimes homophobic, sometimes accepting heterosexual musicians.

Beatles – Boys (1963)
Brenda Lee – My Baby Likes Western Guys (1960)
Hermione Baddeley – I Changed My Sex (1961)
Casey Anderson – Sweet Sydney (1962)
Barbara Lynn - Dina & Patrina (1962)
Tornados - Do You Come Here Often (1966)
Jonathan King – He Stood In The Bath & Stamped On The Floor (2007)
The Honeycombs – Have I The Right? (1965)
The Herd – Something Strange (1968)
The Who – I’m a Boy (1966)
Rolling Stones – I’d Much Rather Be With The Boys (1965)
Silkie - You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (1965)
Beatles – Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (1968)
Beatles – Polythene Pam (1968)
Beatles – Get Back (1969)
Donovan – To Try For The Sun (1965)
Tages – She Is A Man (1967)
Barbarians – Are You A Boy or Are You a Girl? (1965)
Teddy & Darrel – Strangers in the Night (1966)
Burt Topper – The Gay Teenager (1967)
The Byrds – Triad (1967)
United States of America – The American Way of Love (1968)
Improved Sound Ltd – Leave This Lesbian World (1969)
Harpers Bizarre – I Love You Alice B. Toklas (1968)
Pleasure – Born a Girl (1968)
Monty Python – The Lumberjack Song (1969)

You can stream or download the show anytime, at
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/apr2011.html

Thanks for listening,
JD Doyle

http://www.OutRadio.com
http://www.QueerMusicHeritage.com

All segments of both shows are archived.
That’s 11.25 years of very gay music.