[OutVoice] MUSIC THAT STRUCK A CHORD

This Way Out tworadio at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 19:33:34 CST 2010

 "THIS WAY OUT: the international lesbian & gay radio magazine"
Program #1,183 - distributed 11/29/10
Airs on more than 200 local stations around the world... or
Listen now via our free podcasts at
http://www.thiswayout.org
(hosted by Greg Gordon and produced with Lucia Chappelle)
Doris Day, Tommy James & the Shondells, Captain & Tennille, Sister
Sledge, Styx, and Freddie Mercury & Queen are featured in this special
program, "Pop Music That Struck A Chord" with LGBT listeners – capped
off by young Broadway stars of today reminding every struggling
LGBT person in song that "It Gets Better!"

Our "NewsWrap" crew took some time off to enjoy the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday – but they’ll be back next week with the latest developments in or affecting sexual minorities around the world. On this special show, "TWO" Coordinating Producer Greg Gordon goes all nostalgic with a few songs from recent and not-so-recent mainstream "POP MUSIC THAT STRUCK A CHORD" with LGBT listeners, capped off by a song from today to remind those struggling to break out of their closets that life does, to be sure, "get better":
"Secret Love" - DORIS DAY
"I Think We're Alone Now" - TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS
"The Way I Want To Touch You" - CAPTAIN & TENNILLE
"We Are Family" - SISTER SLEDGE
"I'm Okay" - STYX (with bassist Chuck Panozzo, an "out" HIV+ gay man)
"We Are The Champions" – (closeted gay man) FREDDIE MERCURY & QUEEN
"It Gets Better" – Broadway Sings for the Trevor Project
[www.thetrevorproject.org]
=> Please log on to www.thiswayout.org to make a donation now to our nonprofit group.  We literally can't go on without you!

"This Way Out" is a U.S. tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit under the corporate name of OVERNIGHT PRODUCTIONS (INC.), and is supported by tax-deductible donations from our listeners -- thank you!
On the air since April 1988, "This Way Out" is the multi-award-winning internationally distributed weekly gay and lesbian radio newsmagazine.The program currently airs on more than 200 local community radio stations around the world, globally distributed at www.radio4all.net, www.indymedia.org, to Pacifica Radio station affiliates in North America, and "Down Under" through distribution by the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia's ComRadSat.  Listeners can also hear "This Way Out"  on short wave via Costa Rica-based global station RFPI (Radio For Peace International/www.rfpi.org), across Europe, Africa/the Middle East, and Asia/Pacific regions on the World Radio Network (www.wrn.org), and on audio CD by individual subscription.For lots of other information about "This Way Out" please visit www.thiswayout.org, email TWOradio at aol.com, or write to P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038-0327.
************ Thank you for supporting "This Way Out"! *************