[OutVoice] Queer Music Heritage for May: The Pansy Craze

jddoyle1 jddoyle1 at aol.com
Sat May 1 11:38:21 CDT 2010

Queer Music Heritage for May:  The Pansy Craze
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/may2010.html

In the late 1920's and early 1930's in the nightclubs in the country's major cities,
openly gay performers experienced a surge in popularity, so much so that the
phenomenon became known as The Pansy Craze. This show will not only give
an overview of the forces of history that enabled, and later, destroyed
The Pansy Craze, but also I'll share with you the rare music of the performers
involved. Part 1 will cover the history and the major artists, and Part 2 will
provide more by the main players and also music related to that time in our culture.

Part 1 – 59:43
Cole Porter – Anything Goes (1935)
Savoy & Brennan – You Must Come Over (1923)
Savoy & Brennan – You Don’t Know the Half of It (1923)
Douglas Byng – The Sunday School Has Done a Lot For Me (1928)
Douglas Byng & Lance Lister – Cabaret Boys (1928)
Bailey’s Lucky Seven, with Cliff Edwards – Nobody Lied (1922)
Cliff Edwards – Come Up and See Me Sometime (1933)
Jean Malin – I’d Rather Be Spanish Than Mannish (1931)
Jean Malin – That’s What’s The Matter With Me (1931)
Jean Malin – Frankie & Johnny (1933)
“Call Her Savage” clip – Working As Chambermaids (1932)
Ray Bourbon – My First Piece (1936)
Ray Bourbon – Gigolo (1936)
Dwight Fiske – Mrs Pettibone (1933)
Cole Porter – The Physician (1935)
Bruz Fletcher – My Doctor (1935)
Bruz Fletcher – She’s My Most Intimate Friend (1937)
Bruz Fletcher – Drunk With Love (1937)

Part 2 – 60:24
Fred Rich & His Orchestra – He’s So Unusual (1929)
Ray Bourbon – Chiropractor’s Wife (1936)
Ray Bourbon – First Swimming Lesson (1936)
Dwight Fiske – Mrs Trapp (1946)
Dwight Fiske – Salome (1955)
Noel Coward – Mad About the Boy (1932)
Noel Coward – Green Carnation (1933)
Edward Earle & the Satisfactions – Green Carnation (1967)
Beatrice Lillie – There Are Fairies At The Bottom Of My Garden (1934)
Durium Dance Band – Let’s All Be Fairies (1933)
Tessie O’Shea – No One Loves a Fairy When She’s Forty (1935)
Douglas Byng – And Modern American Ways (1933)
Bruz Fletcher – The Prairie (1937)
Bruz Fletcher – Oh for a Week in the Country (1937)
Nan BlaKstone – The Elevator Song (1946)
Nan BlaKstone – Little Richard’s Getting Bigger (1944)
Spivy – I Brought Culture to Buffalo in the 90’s (1939)
Ray Bourbon – Bourbon to the Cleaners (1945)
Ray Bourbon – Strong, Solid and Sensational (1945)
Ray Bourbon – Take a Lei (1941)

A side comment is that this is a show I worked especially hard on,
as the amount of research required was tremendous, matched by the
challenge of doing justice to the history in a short amount of time.
I realize this show certainly may Not be the musical cup of tea of many
people, but I just feel this period of time needs to be documented and
the music and information gathered as a resource.

You can stream or download the show anytime, at
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/may2010.html

Thanks for listening,
JD Doyle

http://www.QueerMusicHeritage.com
http://www.OutRadio.com

And co-producer of Audiofile, the monthly
radio review of CDs of interest to the GLBT
communities, airing on over 200 stations
around the world on This Way Out.
The Audiofile site is at www.Audiofile.org
All segments of all three shows are archived.