[OutVoice] QMH for August 2010: Troy Walker Interview, Plus Much More

jddoyle1 jddoyle1 at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 10:48:26 EDT 2010

QMH for August 2010
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/aug2010.html

Troy Walker is the subject of my special feature interview this month. One thing that makes it special is that I love to share with you the actual voices of our pioneers, and this one started recording about fifty years ago, and he’s still performing. And you’ll hear him talk about many of the folks he’s worked with, like Jerry Lee Lewis, Leon Russell, Timi Yuro, Johnnie Ray, Cher, and Phil Spector, among others.

For the other two segments of this month’s show I’m doing “Songs I’ve Been Meaning To Play.” My focus in Part 1 this month on the 60s and 70s got me in the mood to do more, so most of rest will be from prior to 1980, with lots of very choice obscurities…gems from our history I doubt you’ve ever heard.

Part 1 – 65:53
Troy Walker – Stardust/My Prayer (1965)
Troy Walker Interview
Troy Walker – She’s All Right / I’m Gettin’ Hip (1961)
Troy Walker – Summertime (1962) 2:28
Troy Walker – Midnight in Moscow (1962)
Troy Walker – Sinner Man (1964)
Troy Walker – Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe (1964)
Troy Walker - Rescue me (medley) (1965)
Troy Walker – Marijuana Munchies (1977)
Troy Walker – My Friend Is Gone (1977)
Troy Walker – Country Soul & Rock & Roll (1977)
Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro – I Believe (1962, part)
Troy Walker – No Regrets (1964, Live LP)

Part 2 – 69:53
Johnnie Ray – How Long, How Long Blues (1957)
Johnnie Ray – Little White Cloud That Cried / Cry (1951)
Jewel Akens – Birds and the Bees (1965, clip)
Jewel Akens – He’s Good For Me (1973)
Jewel Akens Interview (2010)
Charlie & Ray – I Love You Madly (1954)
Charlie & Ray – Dearest One (1955)
Petite Swanson – My Jockey Knows How To Ride (1947)
Eleventh Hour – Nasty (1974)
Eleventh Hour – Lady Marmalade (1974)
Kenneth Marlowe – About His Callhouse Days / Parlor Jokes (late 60s)
John Andersson – Stranger In My Bed (1987)
John Andersson – Keep Your Hands Off (1987)
Conan – Tell Ol’ Anita (1979)
Conan – Shameless In High Drag (1979)
Conan – Gypsy (2009)
Conan – Passing Stranger (1979)
Paul DuBois – Last Night’s Man (1976)
Lisa Hartman – Johnny’s Always On My Mind (1982)

Part 3 – 67:30
Thelma Houston – One Out Of Six (1976)
Tom Robinson & Café Society – Glad To Be Gay (demo, 1976)
Another Pretty Face – He’ll Fall (1972)
Another Pretty Face – Da Doo Ron Ron (1972)
Stash Carter – I Didn’t Go To Your Wedding (1952)
Stash Carter – Trees (1952)
Lambert Murphy & Orpheus Quartet – I Can Always Find a Little Sunshine in the YMCA (1918)
University Six – What a Man (1926)
Billy Murray – Honey Boy (1907)
Unknown Lesbian Group – What’s Your Name? (late 70s)
Scrumbly & Martin – Hots for a Hustler (1974)
Robert Campbell – Dreamboy (1977)
Anthony Louis – Fantasy (1976)
Eric Bentley – The Queen of 42nd Street (1970)
Peter Laughner – In the Bar (70s)
Rev JM Gates – Manish Women (1930)
Paul Lynde – from Hollywood Squares (1974)
Blossom Dearie – Bruce (1984)

You can stream or download the show anytime, at
http://www.queermusicheritage.com/aug2010.html

Thanks for listening,
JD Doyle

http://www.OutRadio.com
http://www.QueerMusicHeritage.com
And co-producer of Audiofile, the monthly
radio review of CDs of interest to the GLBT
communities, airing on over 200 stations
around the world on This Way Out.
The Audiofile site is at www.Audiofile.org
All segments of all three shows are archived.