[OutVoice] Alix Dobkin's new book

TsunamiInc at aol.com TsunamiInc at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 16:12:02 EDT 2009

Some of you know Alix Dobkin as a pioneer in women's music, coming out with
 the first full-length all-women's album in the early 70's. Her book is now
out.  Thought some of you would be interested. Here's the announcement she
sent to her  mailing list:

At the April, 1993 National Lesbian Conference in  Atlanta, GA, I announced
to an auditorium filled with Lesbians that I would be  taking time off the
road to begin my memoirs.  Many misinterpreted this as  a retirement
announcement, which it certainly wasn't, because three months  later I went back on
the road.  For sixteen years I continued to write , then edit, moved from
Woodstock to  Oakland and back, became a grandmother, and, at long last, MY
RED BLOOD is done and  published by Alyson Books.
_http://www.alyson.com/9781593501075.html_
(http://www.alyson.com/9781593501075.html)

Along the way, I have received heaps & mobs of support  from many of you;
everything from careful editing,  suggestions, & criticism to general
interest & encouragement,  all of which made a huge difference, inspired me, & kept
me slogging  forward.  Now, of course, I'll be  back on the road with the
book & may even be stopping near you.  I  hope so!

You can check my website, _alixdobkin.com_ (http://www.alixdobkin.com/)
and see where I'm bound.

So, of course I hope you get your hands on a copy  of MY RED BLOOD: A
Memoir of Growing Up Communist,  Coming Onto the Greenwich Village Folk Scene,
and Coming Out in the  Feminist Movement, read, & love it.   Here's a synopsis
 followed by a link to Alyson with lots more info.

Again, I'm grateful for your support & wish you a Happy  New Year & a
terrific autumn.

XXAlix

MY RED BLOOD: A Memoir of Growing Up  Communist, Coming Onto the Greenwich
Village Folk Scene, and Coming Out in  the Feminist Movement

In her  pre-Lesbian memoir, Alix Dobkin writes of the 1940s when she
watches Jane  Powell at Radio City Music Hall, Jackie Robinson at Ebbets
Field, and meets  Paul Robeson in her Communist parent's kitchen.  As a
teenager, Alix  responds to the anti-communism of the 1950s by joining
the Party and touring  the Soviet Union.  She sees Rock 'n' Roll co-opt
Rhythm & Blues and  lands in Greenwich Village just in time to be part of
the folk music  scene.  She befriends Bob Dylan and becomes his "favorite
white female  singer" before he meets Joan Baez.  Tours in the south and
mid-west, a  wild LSD trip, marriage, and a baby, is followed by
consciousness-raising  and feminism, which leads to coming out, writing
Lesbian songs and  pioneering Women's Music.

_http://www.alyson.com/9781593501075.html_
(http://www.alyson.com/9781593501075.html)

- Jamie

Jamie  Anderson, writer and musician