[OutVoice] [Fwd: Press Release: GA Women's Festival Shut Down-Incident Report]

Sue Jeffers sue at fbirecords.com
Wed Oct 7 15:55:17 CDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Press Release: GA Women's Festival Shut Down-Incident Report
Date: 	Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:59:56 +0000 (GMT)
From: 	Vicki Blankenship <spottedkivaproductions at yahoo.com>
To: 	Sue Jeffers <sue at fbirecords.com>

Official Indiegrrl Women in the Arts Press Release:

Georgia Women’s Festival Shut Down – Incident Report

My name is Vicki Blankenship and I am the volunteer president of
Indiegrrl Women in the Arts, Inc a non profit that works to create
networking, educational, and showcasing opportunities for women in the
arts.  Indiegrrl does not discriminate against religion, race,
sexuality, age, political views or anything else and accepts all women
involved in the arts to participate in our programs and events.  We work
to build community type events to bring awareness to women in the arts
and to raise monies for various charities and are presently working to
raise funds to build a facility that will hold children’s music and art
camps and songwriting/music retreats and workshops for adults.  The
prospective location for this facility is Mineral Bluff, GA which
borders NC and is very close to TN.

Indiegrrl has produced many festivals in the southeast that were
community events as well as showcases in venues all around the United
States showcasing various female music acts, comedians, spoken word
artists, and local artisans selling their arts and crafts.  We have also
produced 2 national music conferences, one in Spencer, VA in August 2008
and one in Nashville, TN in August 2009.  We have future goals to
produce many more events.  All of these events have been welcomed with
open arms in the communities in which they were held, accept for the
very last event we produced this month on October 2, 3, 4 in Tattnall
County, GA.  This event was the first festival event that we produced as
a weekend event for women only ages 18 and up and was called the Georgia
Women’s Festival.  This event had the soul purpose to create a safe
environment for a weekend of celebration in sisterhood through music and
art, no matter what your religion, political view, ethnic race, or
sexual views were.  It was also a fund raiser to help bring in funds to
go toward the construction of bunk houses for the facility we plan to
build in Mineral Bluff, GA.  Roy’s Hideaway Campground located in
Tattnall County Georgia between Reidsville and Collins Georgia was the
hosting site for this festival and is a gay and lesbian 21 year old and
up membership campground.

On two occasions prior to the festival taking place on October 2 to 4,
campground owner Roy McLeroy tried going through the proper channels on
finding out if we needed an event permit and if so to obtain the permit
for the event to take place on his campground.  He was told by the on
duty deputies of Tattnall County Sheriff’s department that he did not
need to obtain a permit since it was private property and also a
membership campground and that Indiegrrl the producer of the event was a
non profit organization.  The second time he tried to obtain the permit
was Thursday morning October 1, 2009 and he was told the exact same thing.

The GA Women’s Festival music was scheduled to begin on October 2 at
2:00pm and was advertised on both the campground website as well as the
Indiegrrl website and event flyers.  Our first two Friday music acts
canceled the day before the event due to illness so the music was
rescheduled to start at 4:00pm but we did not change the schedules on
our websites.  At 3:00pm two local deputies arrived on site telling
owner Roy McLeroy and our event sound engineer Steve Wolfe that
neighbors of the campground had phoned in a complaint that the music was
too loud and we would have to turn it down.  Roy and Steve informed the
deputies that the music had not even started and was not starting until
4:00pm.  The deputies verified that no music was being played on the
stage and that the stage was not even fully set up yet and the deputies
left the premises.  At 10:30pm that same night four cars full of
deputies returned to the campground and told us we would have to stop
the music.  We were told in front of many witnesses whose names and
contact info we have, that we could go get a permit at 10:00am, Saturday
morning, at the Tattnall Sheriff Department from Captain Bradley and we
could resume our event on Saturday after getting the permit.  With the
permit we would be allowed to play music until midnight.  The deputies
stated they had lots of complaints about the noise and a permit would
allow us to over ride the complaints.  After the deputies left the
premises, people lined up outside the fenced perimeter of the campground
and began yelling obscenities at the festival attendees and chanted
“F___ing Queers go home”.  One neighboring piece of property had cars
line up in a field that separated the properties between them and the
campground and shined their car headlights down into the campground,
blared loud music from their car speakers, and proceeded to fire guns
down into the pond areas in the campground.  911 calls were made to the
Tattnall County Sheriff Department to come put a stop to this but
nothing got stopped.  I personally never saw a police vehicle respond to
the area with the cars shining their headlights down on us and my cabin
was 30 feet from the pond they were shooting into.  This went on until
4:00am when they finally stopped.

On Saturday morning campground owner Roy McLeroy, his mother Dorothy,
Steve Wolfe our sound engineer and I went to the Tattnall County Sheriff
Department and asked for Captain Bradley to obtain our permit.  We were
told it was his day off so we asked if they would phone him to come in
and explained out situation.  When Captain Bradley arrived he walked
past us and sat behind the window opening at the entrance.  I extended
my hand for him to shake as I introduced myself and he refused to shake
my hand all the while as he kept his arms crossed and seemed to be very
irritated.  I gave him our non profit brochure and our non profit
federal number and asked if we could get the permit the deputies the
night before had told us to get from him so we could resume our event
today. He pushed the papers aside and told me he told them to shut us
down and no he would not give us a permit.  I explained that the
deputies had told me in front of many witnesses that Captain Bradley
would give us a permit so we could resume our fund raising festival on
Saturday.  I asked him on what grounds was he refusing us a permit.  He
said he would not give us a permit and again I questioned him as to why
not.  He stated “I just am not going to do it.”  I asked to see a
magistrate judge and Captain Bradley told me there was not one on duty
and told me “leave the premises right now.”  I then stated that I wanted
to see a magistrate judge to know my rights on their laws and ordinances
on event permits, noise restrictions, and event guidelines.  At that
point Captain Bradley demanded that I leave the premises and advised
campground owner Roy McLeroy to make me leave the premises.  I then
stated that I have a right to stand on public property and that I was
not breaking any laws and that I had the right to see in writing the
laws and ordinances governing events and noise restrictions in their
county.  Captain Bradley, who was out of uniform and refused to give me
his first name when I asked him, walked off again yelling “Roy take her
out of here before I lock her up.”  I told Captain Bradley he had no
grounds to lock me up that no laws were being broken and that I would
leave but I would find the proper authorities to find out the Tattnall
County ordinances and laws.  I also questioned him why the harassment
from the people outside the campground toward the festival attendees was
not stopped during the night along with the gun fire after numerous 911
calls were made.  He said “We took care of that” and I stated “Well
obviously not because it went on for 5 hours until 4:00am”.  He again
yelled “Roy get her out of here”.  I then went to the parking lot and
began making phone calls along with Steve Wolfe to try to find out the
county ordinances.  Inside the precinct Captain Bradley told Roy McLeroy
and Dorothy “Ms Blankenship better watch her back while driving out of
this county or she might find herself locked up in my jail.”  This was a
verbal threat on my safety and well being.

We returned to the campground and gathered everyone and I made an
announcement to the festival attendees that we were not granted the
permit that the officers on Friday night told us we could get and that
the stage could not resume with music.  We then started phoning various
county offices including the Sheriff’s department to find out what the
county noise ordinance was and we were told several different answers
including 9:00pm, 10:00pm, 2:00pm, and All Day.  30 minutes after
returning to the campground the magistrate judge drove up.  I then
questioned him on the ordinances and questioned Captain Bradley’s
behavior.  His direct comment to me was “Well you know how small towns
are and Captain Bradley is a good old boy and a pretty good officer.”  I
then stated “I only know about the small towns that go by their
ordinances and laws that are on the books and that do not make up laws
as they go along, and where police officers did not threaten people who
were just asking to know their rights and to see those laws and
ordinances in writing.”  The magistrate apologized for Captain Bradley’s
behavior and stated he did not think we had to have a permit because the
campground was private property in the county and a membership
campground.  He then walked away and phoned Sheriff Quinton Rush and
came back and told me we could not go on with our event and that he
would not issue us a permit.

At 8:00pm that night people once again lined up outside the campground
fence line and resumed yelling obscenities at us and were chanting the
same “F___ing Queers go home”.  Once again the loud music, headlights
from the cars, and the shooting of firearms into the ponds and into the
air resumed until 5:00am on Sunday morning.  Again 911 phone calls were
made and nothing got stopped.  The women in the campground were
literally crying in their tents and cabins afraid for their lives and
the Tattnall County Sheriff Department did not respond to or stop the
harassment.

Indiegrrl had no prior knowledge that the neighboring community had
harsh feelings towards Roy’s Hideaway Campground and had acted out
against them in the past.  We would not have organized an event at this
facility if prior knowledge had existed.  We in no way would put
festival attendees in any danger by holding an event in a possible
hostile environment.   We will not hold any more events at this facility
in the future nor in the county of Tattnall.  We do want to make the
public aware of the unjust treatment that existed for this event and the
harassment that did take place.  Events that we produce bring monies to
the local area including hotel rentals, restaurant revenues, gas and
grocery revenues and more.  Our goal at Indiegrrl is to create fun
community events that benefit the attendees, the community, and the
artists participating.  Indiegrrl is still exploring our options on
legal proceedings with this situation.  It is unacceptable for this type
of blatant harassment and prejudicial treatment to go on and the lives
of US citizens to be put in jeopardy.  There was a severe and open
violation of civil rights on offering equal protection by the law in
Tattnall County.  This violation of safety was not a gay thing or a
straight thing it was a human thing and a violation of human safety and
human rights occurred.

Contact Info:
Vicki Blankenship
Indiegrrl Women in the Arts, Inc.