[OutVoice] Review: "A Lullaby for Ryan: The History of HIV/AIDS in America"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 05:14:27 CST 2009

A WHITE CHOCOLATE  MESS
Review
“A LULLABY FOR  RYAN: The History of HIV/AIDS in America”
December 14,  2009
Solo theatre artist  Jade Esteban Estrada in the solo musical comedy “A
Lullaby for Ryan: The History  of HIV/AIDS in America” – Photo by JASON
FIENHOLD-HAASIS
Read it  online:
_http://whitechocolatemess.blogspot.com/2009/12/theater-lullaby-for-ryan.htm
l_
(http://whitechocolatemess.blogspot.com/2009/12/theater-lullaby-for-ryan.html)
San  Antonio's own Jade Esteban Estrada has staged his  one-man show that
spans over twenty years of the history of AIDS in  America. A daunting task,
one might  think, especially in a rather short production. I defer to
Shakespeare, who  wrote "Brevity is the soul of wit".

Each of  Estrada's historical archetypes are so beautifully played, turns
tragic, comic  and hopeful. Mess hopes that y'all will catch this show next
time it plays  locally, as Estrada has been touring the nation with it and
his other on-going  projects. Not only is it powerful in the theatrical sense,
it also has a  profound educational component - and that component is
weaved seamlessly into  the show. There's no hard hitting "message," and let me
quote Samuel Goldwyn on  "messages" in entertainment - "Messages are for
Western  Union".

Estrada truly  shines. Ryan would be proud.
_http://www.getjaded.com/
_ (http://www.getjaded.com/)