[OutVoice] Off topic from Ed with some advice related to the emerging Flu epidemic

ed at edmannix.com ed at edmannix.com
Sun Apr 26 17:18:11 CDT 2009

I know this is off-topic but I talked with my oldest and dearest friend
today and he suggested I write to all our close college friends. I did,
then I realized I should share it as I can. FYI, my first career almost 40
years ago was as an R.N. and I've always stayed abeast of trends in
health care. I'm no expert or even a current health care professional,
so take it as you will.  Ed Mannix

Hi all:

It is not my way to be alarmist but this emerging flu epidemic is very
real. Please go out NOW and buy hand sanitizer -- it will be gone from
the shelves in the next 24 hours. Be a role model and wash your hands
often. Especially in front of those around you.

The government is understandably having a difficult time trying to
explain the issues; so, let me try among friends...

This virus is not a killer. We all get colds and the flu from time to time.
Our bodies have plenty of immmune anti-bodies to fight thngs and at
least tamp it down to a fever and aches. Generally, older people and
very young children or those with copmpromised immune systems get
opportunitistic secondary infections, leading to pneumonia. The first-
line treatment is antibiotics in those cases. But antibiotics will not be of
use with this outbreak. It is attacking healthy adults.

For some reason, this virus is causing an extreme immune response
in the most vigorously healthy and robust people. Their bodies are
reacting so disproportionately, it's as if they killed a roach with a sledge
hammer. These healthy adults are then getting a sterile pneumonia, i.e
their own body fluids are flooding their lungs-- quickly. This is totally
unprecedented on a large scale.

We are fortunate in NYC that we have ample stocks of Tamiflu and
respirators -- respirators are used to force oxygen past the fluid while
the body naturally re-absorbs it. Sadly, may under-developed countries
do not have those luxuries and this may prove devastating. At the
same time, those in our own rural areas may delay too long to get
treatment in time. We are, afterall, talking about otherwise healthy and
invulnerable adults.

So, do your part. Wash your hands. Keep sanitizer nearby. Share it
with those around you. Be a role model. That's a good thing!

Take care.

Love

Ed