[OutVoice] “This Way Out” – Sound Off for Marriage Equality

tworadio at aol.com tworadio at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 20:37:41 CDT 2008

“This Way Out” – Sound Off for Marriage Equality
Marriage Coverage Compilation Records the Past... and the Future Will Be Podcast!

Dear Friend of “This Way Out,”

These are both promising and perilous times for the LGBT community around the world.  Around “This Way Out’s” home base in California, a sweet victory for marriage equality in the state Supreme Court is being threatened by a richly financed ballot initiative, hyped by its religious right proponents as the Armageddon of the culture wars in the US.  We’re committed to keeping you informed about this campaign – not to mention the marriage-related initiative battles in Florida and Arizona – and we have a couple of exciting announcements about how we’re going to provide you with the latest news from these and other LGBT hot spots all over the globe.

>From the world’s first legal lesbian/gay wedding in the Netherlands, to the roads to marriage equality in Canada and Massachusetts, to San Francisco’s daring challenge to marriage discrimination and the court’s subsequent ruling, “This Way Out” has brought you the sounds of those momentous events.  We’ve collected all of those on-the-scene reports into a special 2-CD set called “Altared States.”  We know this unique “wedding gift” will inspire and activate you as you engage your friends and family to rally around the cause – and challenge you to see that this
 vital radio show stays on the air.

And not just on the airwaves!  Our second – and for many of you anxiously awaited – announcement is that “This Way Out” is now available as a podcast.  To subscribe, just point your browser to http://feeds.thiswayout.org/SeriesPodcastThisWayOut.  (You’ll soon be able to subscribe directly from our website, www.thiswayout.org.)  We’re delighted to be able to expand our service to you in this way!

With all the promise these fantastic announcements hold, “This Way Out” is also facing tremendous financial peril.  Our former streaming audio licensor, OutInAmerica.com, still owes us $8,250 – and has yet to respond to a demand letter from our attorney.  That money represents a substantial portion of our annual operating budget, and we are now running deeply in the red.   Surely this is no time for a major LGBT information source to be in such jeopardy!  It’s time for you to step forward for equality around the world, and for a radio show that promotes all the political and cultural values that make our community strong.

We’re asking you to “marry” “This Way Out” and support us with the cost of a California marriage license – a $70 donation.  As a token of our appreciation, we’ll send you the 2-CD set, “Altared States.”

For you “pod-people,” consider giving “This Way Out” a donation of just $26 8
0 that’s only 50 cents a week.  The podcast is free, but producing the program is not.  Now that we have no online licensor, contributions from our loyal listeners are more important than ever!

The clock is ticking for equality in California, Florida, and Arizona.  It’s ticking for LGBT people who risk their lives for human rights in the Caribbean, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.  It’s ticking for artists and activists from Canada to New Zealand who long to share their work and ideas with our global audience.  Will this audio organizing tool that has made such a difference for two decades still be available to broadcast and inspire their efforts?

Don’t delay!  “Marry us” for a donation of $70 or more and receive your 2-CD wedding gift, “Altared States.”   Subscribe to our new podcast so you won’t miss any of the earth-shaking action of the next few months – and chip in an additional $26 or more in celebration of our technological milestone!  You can find more information about other special offers and make your tax-deductible contribution by clicking on one of the PayPal “Donate” links at www.thiswayout.org, or sending a check to P.O. Box 38327, Los Angeles, CA 90038.  Please feel free to write to us with any other questions or comments at TWORadio at aol.com.

Thanks for your support as always!

P.S. - If 25 enthusiastic fans of “This Way Out” each gave a gift of
 $330, it would fill the hole left by the OutInAmerica deal.  We’ll send you “Altared States,” any or all of the other premium gifts listed on our website, and we’ll thank you on the air (with your permission, of course)!