[OutVoice] QMH for September, "Walls to Roses"

Jddoyle1 at aol.com Jddoyle1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 18:27:11 CDT 2008

Howdy  from Houston,

Thanks to Ike, what a strange month this has been. Fortunately I  had my
September show recorded, before losing power for a week, and the  broadcast
version (Part 1) is airing a week late, due to hurricane damage  to the station. But
it can always be heard on my site.

About 30 years ago a group of men got together to record an album  of songs
against sexism, and the project evolved into what I consider a landmark  album,
as it was the first various artists album of gay and straight men. The
collective that made this happen, and their album was called "Walls to Roses,"  and
I bring you interviews with some of the people involved, in a show that
tries to capture a slice of our  history.

Playlist

Part 1 –  57:49
Charlie Murphy – Gay  Spirit (1979, part)
Willie Sordillo  Interview
Jeff Langley – Walls To  Roses (1978)
Willie Sordillo – For My Men  Friends (1979)
Chris Tanner  Interview
Chris Tanner – The  Sensitive Little Boy (1979)
Blackberri – When Will the  Ignorance End? (1979)
Kenny Arkin – Walls to  Roses (1979)
Charlie Murphy  Interview
Charlie Murphy – Gay Spirit  (1979)

Part 2 – 61:01
Charlie Murphy  Interview
Charlie Murphy – Gay  Spirit (1981)
Charlie Murphy – If You’ve Got Gayness  (1980)
Charlie Murphy – Double Love (1981)
Charlie Murphy – Dear Men (1981)
Charlie Murphy – No More (1981)
Charlie Murphy & Jami Sieber – Calling on  the Spirits (1984)
Charlie Murphy – Fierce  Love (1985)
Rumors of the Big  Wave, and The Total Experience Gospel Choir – Free South
Africa  (1987)
Rumors of the Big Wave – Burning Times (1990)
Rumors of the Big Wave – Spirit in the Wasteland  (1990)
Part 3 –  59:26
Willie Sordillo  Interview
Willie Sordillo – For My Men  Friends (1979)
Willie Sordillo – Old Friend’s  Song (1980)
Willie Sordillo – Gone, Gone,  Gone (1983)
Willie Sordillo & Flor De  Cana – Feeding the Flame (1990)

You can stream or download  the show anytime, at
_http://www.queermusicheritage.com/sep2008.html_
(http://www.queermusicheritage.com/sep2008.html)

And,  the radio version is on KPFT, 90.1fm, Houston, Monday,  September
29th,
at 10pm, CDT, and  the station netcasts at _http://www.kpft.org_
(http://www.kpft.org)
and Queer Voices is now at a later time, Mondays  from  9-11pm.

Thanks for listening,

JD Doyle

my "Queer Music Heritage" radio show  site:

http://www.queermusicheritage.com
my  Outradio site:
http://www.outradio.com
and  co-producer of Audiofile, the monthly
radio review of CDs of interest to the  GLBT
communities, airing on over 150 stations
around the world on This  Way Out.
The Audiofile site is at www.Audiofile.org
and all past  Audiofile segments are archived
at _http://www.queermusicheritage.com/af.html_
(http://www.queermusicheritage.com/af.html)
Also  co-host of Queer Voices on KPFT, every
Monday night from 9-11 pm, _www.kpft.org_ (http://www.queervoices.org/)
and at MySpace: _http://www.myspace.com/jddoyle_
(http://www.myspace.com/jddoyle)