[OutVoice] Fire Island, NY: "Estrada is Arts Project's Last Rose of Summer"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Wed Sep 24 01:09:10 CDT 2008

QOnStage.COM
ESTRADA IS ARTS PROJECT’S LAST ROSE OF  SUMMER
By BRUCE-MICHAEL GELBERT
Jade Esteban Estrada as Mark  Bingham in ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History
of the World, Vol. 2 at the Cherry  Grove Community House in Fire Island, New
York. Photo by  JOSEPH R. SARPARITO
Read it online:
_http://www.qonstage.com/QOnStage_articles/2008IconsII/art_tpl_w-196.html_
(http://www.qonstage.com/QOnStage_articles/2008IconsII/art_tpl_w-196.html)
FIRE ISLAND - Jade Esteban  Estrada, who limned memorable portraits of
Sappho, Michelangelo, Oscar  Wilde, Gertrude Stein, Sylvia Rivera and Ellen
DeGeneres in his solo musical  comedy "ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History of the
World, Vol. 1" (2002), given  here last August, returned to the Community House,
under the auspices of the  Arts Project of Cherry Grove, on September 20, to
dazzle us with "ICONS: The  Lesbian and Gay History of the World, Vol. 2" (2004),
saluting another  half-dozen of our ancestors and contemporaries "for their
courage and  contribution to the advancement of mankind." Sherri Rase took
responsibility for  sound and lights.

Jade began this second gallery of "ICONS" with  Alexander the Great, singing
mournfully of the loss of his "very special friend"  Hephaestion, keening for
his deceased love, and lamenting, "I can't conquer the  world without you."
After a period of seclusion, his Alexander allows himself to  be cajoled back
into action, facing the enemy, Persia, in a rocking number, in response to the
people's call of  "you'll rule Macedonia, you'll be  great." He muses, "I want
to leave my mark upon the world: greatness takes time"  and, pointedly, "I
want to be president or dictator or Sarah Palin," as he  morphs into a frisky,
nervously giggling Queen Christina of Sweden, donning the  crown and taking up
the scepter on her 18th birthday and echoing Alexander with,  "I want to make
history now."

Thirty war-torn years pass and toughen  Christina in the course of Jade's
mini-rock opera about the monarch, who sings,  "Sweden, oh my Sweden ... unearth
me now." As peace prevails, she abdicates in  favor of her cousin, Charles
Gustav; decamps for Rome, leaving behind her beloved, Elba; and, now Catholic,
incurs  the Pope's wrath as she confronts him about his practice of genocide
against the  Jews.

Saluted next is Susan B. Anthony, in modest shades of gray and  blue-gray,
declaring, in a gospel-style anthem, "the next step is the right to  vote."
"What we need is a revolution," she sings, noting, in her earnest ballad,  that,
"The politics of inclusion/don't allow female intrusion." With  determination,
she casts her vote in Rochester in the  presidential election of 1872 and is
promptly arrested and fined. Women's right  to vote would come in 1920.

Our hero changes before our eyes into  "outstanding athlete of the world"
Billie Jean King, racket in hand, giving  herself a pep talk: "Focus. I know I
can beat this man," Bobby Riggs; vigorously  fighting "the battle of the sexes"
on the tennis court and overcoming the  popular myth that "women can't volley
at the net;" and letting loose with an  exuberant victory shout on winning.

King mentions the places that she  loves, including San Francisco, and that
is the cue for a visit with a dapper  fellow, soliciting votes for City
Supervisor and, with some fancy hoofing,  promoting himself with "I'm Harvey Milk,
I'm a hell of a guy." Finally winning,  after several unsuccessful attempts,
Milk embraces his responsibilities as "The  Mayor of Castro Street" and
recognizes that "We just made history now." In less  than a year's time, assassin Dan
White's bullets ring out.

The final icon  Jade presents here is Mark Bingham, a jock, lauding, in a
gently jubilant  number, his dear mother, his "superstar;" his love, Matt; and
the "beautiful  American day"-that fateful day, September 11, 2001-when he
boarded flight 93,  the scene-and the musical-ending with, "Our plane's being
hijacked. We've got to  fight back!"

We look  forward to seeing “ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History of the World,
Vol. 3,”  which Jade introduced in 2006.
Find other reviews of Jade Esteban Estrada at _www.getjaded.com_
(http://www.getjaded.com/) .