[OutVoice] I need you. Right NOW.

bmgnedra at aol.com bmgnedra at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 10:17:50 CDT 2008

I need you. Right NOW.

Last night I played at a benefit raising money for 4 (really 7) young lesbian women who have been convicted of a hate crime in New York City. Lesbians convicted of a hate crime?? One of them was sentenced to 11 years.? Who is it they hate?? Straight men.? That's what the judge and jury said.

Here's the story...

Seven young women (18-24 years old) came to NYC from Newark to hang out one August night.? Everyone knows NY is where you go to if you want to be out and be safe. The Village is a gay area. You can be yourself. Or so they thought.

While walking down 6th Ave near the IFC theatre, a man says to one of them "Can I get some of that?"? She's drinking a soda and she figures he's homeless and hands it to him.? He says, "I don't want that.? I some of that!" pointing to her crotch.

Now I don't know all the words that followed, but picture yourself in that situation.? What would you do? The young woman responded with "I'm gay."? And then he continued... "I don't care.? I fuck all y'all.? I'll fuck you straight.? What you need is some good dick..." What woman that has walked down a street in NY does not know this experience on some level?

Arguing continued and then he threw his lit cigarette at one of them and spit on another.? That's when it became a physical fight.

At some point in the fighting he got one of the girls in a chokehold and they could not get him off her.? Patrice, who is 4'11" and less than 100lbs, had stayed out of it for the most part. But at the that point she was watching him close to killing her friend.? She had a dollar store steak knife in her purse and took it out.? She was never sure that she hit him.? There was no blood on her knife (and the knife was never tested for his blood).

Two guys stepped in and started fighting with the man.? The girls were able to get out of it completely and left with the two men still fighting him.? They went to McDonalds.? They cleaned themselves up, got something to eat... then 30 minutes later headed out only to be arrested.? Their attacker had been sent to the hospital - he was stabbed in the stomach.

The media framed the girls as a "wolfpack of lesbians" "seething sapphic septet" a "gang"...

When is a group of girls hanging out a gang?? When the girls a black lesbians.

I'm writing this letter, because I feel like I have failed these young women. I don't have a lot of money, but I do something donation wise.? And I have done that.? But my greatest resource is my community.? I fear that we've been placated by our visibility and mainstream half-assed acceptence... our isolation made us need each other.? There was a time when you could read desparately through LC and know there is another somebody like you - a lesbian within miles.? Now we instant message each other and sometimes rarely make that extra effort to see and support each other in person.? Something about that has got to change.

But for now, the immediate need from you today is money.? It can be $5, $10, whatever you can do.? One of the women who was convicted, Terrain, appealed and her sentence was reversed.? She is free and clear with no felony on her record, though she did serve two years for nothing while this man has walked the streets.? 3 women took pleas and have 5 years probation plus felony records (nice way to start your adult life). Renata is out on bail and her appeal is scheduled for November, I believe.? Patrice has an appeal in November. She is not elligible for bail.? Venice also has an appeal coming up and is elligible for bail.? Her bail is $5000.

$5000 is a lot of money.? But it's not a lot of money. I must personally know 1000 lesbians with $5. I'm certain that someone I know could even drop the entire amount without it even phasing them...hard as the times are... I believe that it is possible to come up with the money to get Venice out today.? TODAY!? I mean it.? WWAD?? What would Audre do?? WWPPD? What would Pat Parker do?? Ask yourself...

The first failure was in letting them get convicted in the first place.? Please join me in showing up for these women now.

http://nedrajohnson.com/webpay.html

Put in the "service rendered" line " Free the NJ4" and all monies (less PayPal fees will go to help these young women)

For more information on this case... please go to http://www.amyewinter.net/nj4/?
or google "nj4" or Dwayne Buckle...

Pass this email on to your mailing lists.

Blessings,

Nedra Johnson
September 17, 2008