[OutVoice] governator

Davieclem1 at aol.com Davieclem1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 10:14:27 CST 2008

I don't think white and black voters, nor gay and straight voters, were too
far apart on prop h8; those of us who cared knew that gay equality needed to
take a back seat and went quietly under the bus to await the election with Mr.
Ayers, Rev. Wright and the nice people from ACORN.

But now, looking at the results in the most abstract of terms, this is a
truly monumental and frightening precedent.   The concept that a zealotous,
bigoted majority can strip a minority of a court-granted   or god-given right is
preposterous, and a threat to democratic equality.   Even people who think that
marriage is a bourgeois concern, or may consider prop 8 to be an insult to be
ignored, or are homophobic, have to see the dangerous example that's been set.

So, we were well behaved and mostly polite for the good of the country and
the world ... I think we can be as self-congratulatory as the rest of the
electorate for making the only reasonable choice (I have been feeling a little bit
more "it's about fucking time" than "yes we did").   But we're talking about a
basic tenet of our society, one that inspires me to be very protective.

How many New Yorkers will be there tomorrow night?

"Time and Place