[OutVoice] Tulsa, OK: "Jade Esteban Estrada Brings 'ICONS' to Tulsa"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Sat May 10 13:56:42 CDT 2008

TULSA WORLD

JADE ESTEBAN  ESTRADA BRINGS ‘ICONS’ TO TULSA

By KAREN SHADE
World Scene  Writer
Photo by ANGEL  HESS

May  10, 2008
Read it  online:
_http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080510_272_D4_span577
54_
(http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080510_272_D4_span57754)

The first time  was for fun, the second for study. With "ICONS: The Lesbian
and Gay History of  the World, Vol. 3," however, Jade Esteban Estrada looks for
social and political  awareness.

The pop singer/comedian/actor brings the third  part of his look at renowned
gays and lesbians throughout world history to Tulsa's Nightingale  Theater at
8  p.m. Saturday.

"When it comes to 'ICONS,' I feel like a reporter," Estrada said in a  recent
phone interview from Los  Angeles. "I just report  what I see."

But with a little artistic license, even in the case of  Mary Cheney,
daughter of U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney. Estrada's "mirror" to  Mary Cheney is
the "Icon" closing out his three-part work, which together have  amassed a
number of awards in several gay and lesbian theater festivals.

"This show feels like an ending to that journey," Estrada said. "So many
people are not interested in gay rights, but over the last several decades we've
needed gay icons to represent."

Estrada can next be seen on television  sets when he hosts the 19th annual
GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against  Defamation) Media Awards. Taped on
April 12, the show is scheduled to air at 8  p.m. June 27 on the  Bravo network.

"ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History of the World, Vol. 3"  will be at 8 p.m.
Friday and Saturday at the Nightingale Theater, 1416 E. Fourth  St. Tickets
are $10. For more, call 633-8666.
_www.getjaded.com_ (http://www.getjaded.com/)
_http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd5wrHbuido_
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd5wrHbuido)