[OutVoice] Tallahassee, FL: "Pride in the Park is Centerpiece to Weeklong Celebration"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Fri Jun 6 04:26:09 CDT 2008

Tallahassee  Democrat
Pride in the Park is  centerpiece of weeklong celebration

By KATI  SCHARDL
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER
June  6, 2008
Jade Esteban Estrada returns with  Vol. 3 of his "ICONS" series, and he'll
stick around for the week's activities.  Photo by PATRICK  PATTERSON
Read it  online:
_http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/ENT/806060317/1005
&GID=S1Uo+UA8nCQIK/nEZffvmVz60fhoQHIIFDeWtV43sg8%3D_
(http://tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080606/ENT/806060317/1005&GID=S1Uo+UA8nCQIK/nEZffv
mVz60fhoQHIIFDeWtV43sg8=)
Unfurl the rainbow  flag and let it fly for Tallahassee PrideFest 2008!
The weeklong  celebration by Tallahassee's lesbian, gay and  transgender
community includes parties, performances, readings, an art exhibit  and the
festival's centerpiece, Pride in the Park. This year, Pride in the Park  moves from
its previous location at Tom Brown Park to the heart of  downtown.
"This year, rather  than doing what some have called 'gay hide' . . . we're
bringing all of our  events into downtown and midtown Tallahassee," said
festival  organizer Steven Hall. "Instead of a one-afternoon event at a park on the
outskirts of town, we are hosting eight different events."
It wouldn't be a  Tallahassee PrideFest without Jade Esteban Estrada, the
"Prince of  Pride." The effervescent entertainer will perform the third and final
 installment of his "ICONS: The Lesbian & Gay History of the World" series,
in which he has portrayed such notable historical and cultural figures as
Sappho, Oscar Wilde, Ellen DeGeneres, Alexander the Great, Queen Christina of
Sweden and Michelangelo.
"When I created the  first ICONS installment, I decided to call it 'Vol. 1'
because the history of  any people is like a vast ocean," Estrada said in a
phone interview. "Doing a  performance like (ICONS) is like dipping a bucket in
the ocean — you can only  get so much at one time. I knew it had to be a
trilogy."
In the third "ICONS"  revue, Estrada delivers his takes on the Old
Testament's Naomi, King James I (he  of Bible revision fame), Bessie Smith, Greg
Louganis and vice-presidential  daughter Mary Cheney.
Estrada will be around  for the full week of Pride activities and will act as
emcee of Pride in the  Park.
"Tallahassee has been so amazing  to me," he said. "Coming here is like
coming home."
Here's a look at the  Tallahassee PrideFest 2008 schedule. Weeklong passes
are available for $35 for  general admission and $85 for VIP. For complete
information, check the Web site  at _www.tallahasseepride.com_
(http://www.tallahasseepride.com/) .
·  Sunday, 8 p.m.: "A Rainbow  Affair" PrideFest kick-off party at Tantra
Lounge, 1225 N. Monroe St., featuring  a live band. Tickets are $5 for general
admission, $10 for VIP.
·  Monday, 8 p.m.: Jade Esteban  Estrada performs "ICONS: The Lesbian & Gay
History of the World, Vol. 3" at  The Comedy Zone, 401 E. Tennessee St. Tickets
are $10 for general admission, $20  for VIP.
·  Tuesday: "Quill, A Literary Pride  Event," with a VIP Q&A session at 7
p.m., doors opening for general  admission at 7:45 and a post-event book-signing,
at The Warehouse, 706 W. Gaines  St. Admission is free, seating is limited.
·  Wednesday: "Brushed, An  Exhibition of Pride," with VIP opening at 6
p.m., general opening at 7  p.m., at The Cloisters of  All Saints. Parking at The
Family Tree, 310 Blount  St. Free admission.
·  Thursday, 8  p.m.: Comedian Marga Gomez  performs "Laugh, Baby, Laugh!" at
The Moon, 1105 E. Lafayette  St. General admission is  $15, VIP tickets are
$25.
·  June 13, 10  p.m.: Pride Pre-Party, with  the fabulous Veronica, at Club
Rayn, 1660 N. Monroe  St. General admission is  $15, VIP admission is $20.
·  June 14, 11 a.m. to 6  p.m.: Pride in the Park,  with Jade Esteban
Estrada, live music, comedians, special guest Truly Tina and  more. Free admission.
·  June 15, 3 to 8  p.m.: "Recovery, A Tea  Dance" at Boulevard Park,
adjacent to The  Family Tree, 310 Blount  St. Free  admission.
_http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd5wrHbuido_
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=pd5wrHbuido)
_www.getjaded.com_ (http://www.getjaded.com/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.