[OutVoice] Kennewick, WA: "'ICONS' Making a Return Trip"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Fri Feb 29 21:10:13 CST 2008

Tri-City  Herald
'ICONS' MAKING A RETURN TRIP
By DORI  O’NEAL
Herald Staff  Writer
February 29,  2008
Photo by  PATRICK PATTERSON
Read it  online:
_http://www.tri-cityherald.com/922/story/105115.html_
(http://www.tri-cityherald.com/922/story/105115.html)
Jade Esteban Estrada lives vicariously through others  whether those
characters are from his imagination or actual historic figures.
He blends his humor into a musical  comedy show that educates as well as
entertains.
Tri-Citians got a taste of this  funnyman's humor last year when he brought
his ICONS world  tour to town.
This year, Estrada has put together  a new blend of characters for his show
that will be performed Saturday at the Rainbow Cathedral Metropolitan Community
Church in Yakima.
This time Estrada, 32, will bring  the characters of Alexander the Great,
Queen Christina of Sweden, Susan B.  Anthony, Billie Jean King, Harvey Milk and
9/11 hero Mark Bingham into his act  and tell you what they all have in common.
ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History  of the World, Vol. 2 is a one-man act
sure to slap the  frown off your face.
He's performed several times this  past year in support of HIV/AIDS
organizations across the country, he said this  week via e-mail.
"It's been very gratifying to be  able to make people listen by means of
music and comedy," Estrada said. "The  history of this disease has shaped our
culture and it makes me feel good that I  am allowing people to see some of the
human strength and triumph in this  show."
Besides his touring shows, Estrada  has appeared in a few films recently,
like Doldrums and The Innocent  Killers, which he confessed, "I'm the evil gay
guy in that  film."
Estrada has played to sold-out  audiences all over the world. He figures his
popularity comes from his ability  to tell the truth about uncomfortable
topics using humor.
"You can tell the truth without  using a soapbox," Estrada said. "I have 10
shows I alternate on the road, and  I've certainly been busy since I visited
your area last year. But I love what I  do. I want my audiences to always have
the feeling that they can reach out and  touch me."
_www.getjaded.com_ (http://www.getjaded.com/)

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)