[OutVoice] BREAKING NEWS: Senate vote on hate crimes bill expected on Thursday

Joanne Lynn Benjamin garfield25_tg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 14:45:39 CDT 2007

This just in: the Senate will vote on the Matthew  Shepard Act TOMORROW.
 We've worked for years to get this bill through both houses of  Congress, and we're finally incredibly close.
 Now that Senate action is imminent, anti-GLBT groups are  activating their misinformed grassroots base once again.
 Remember, they've convinced thousands that this bill  will muzzle preachers and send pastors to jail for reading certain parts of the  Bible. If we don't call right now, critical votes  COULD BE LOST to these scare tactics.

 CALL  BOTH YOUR SENATORS RIGHT NOW:
 Both  Sen. Casey and Sen. Specter are already signed on as co-sponsors of the Matthew  Shepard Act. You're calling to thank them for their support and encourage them  to stand strong, regardless of last minute right-wing efforts leading up to the  vote.
 (The information below  pertains to Pennsylvania) otherwise see   http://www.hrc.org/your_community/your_elected_officials.asp for your  local officials

      For Sen. Casey, call      (202) 224-6324.
   Then, for Sen. Specter, call   (202) 224-4254.
      For each office, tell the staffer who answers:
   "As a constituent, and a supporter of   Human Rights Campaign, I'd like to    thank the Senator for supporting the Matthew Shepard Act (S. 1105). I hope the    Senator's support for this important bill will stay strong until it comes up    for a vote."
 We cannot allow our Senators to be intimidated, misled, or  swayed by an extremist minority. Thank you for making your calls, and thank you  for being a voice of reason today.
 BREAKING NEWS: Senate vote on hate crimes bill expected on Thursday September 25, 2007
  Chris Johnson This afternoon, Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA), one of the lead sponsors of the  Senate hate crimes bill, took to the Senate floor to urge the Senate to pass the  hate crimes bill (S. 1105) and for President Bush to sign the legislation into  law. Earlier today, Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) filed a cloture motion on the hate  crimes bill, a procedural move to overcome Senator McCain's objection to  bringing the amendment to the floor.  Our side must achieve 60 votes on the  cloture motion to win; that vote is scheduled for Thursday. The Senate should  then move towards passages of the hate crimes bill as an amendment to the  Department of Defense authorization bill.
    Senator Kennedy's prepared    statement on the Senate floor can be read      here.

 KENNEDY ON THE MATTHEW SHEPARD ACT (As Prepared for Delivery) September 25, 2007 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 I’d like to speak for a moment  regarding the Hate Crimes Amendment  -- at a time when our ideals are under  attack by terrorists in other lands, it is more important than ever to  demonstrate that we practice what we preach, and that we are doing all we can to  root out the bigotry and prejudice in our own country that leads to violence  here at home.  Now more than ever, we need to act against hate crimes and send a  strong message here at home and around the world that we will not tolerate  crimes fueled by hate.

 Since the September 11th attacks,  we’ve seen a shameful increase in the number of hate crimes committed against  Muslims, Sikhs, and Americans of Middle Eastern descent.  Congress has done much  to respond to the vicious attacks of September 11th.   We’re doing all that we  can to strengthen our defenses against hate that comes from abroad.   We’ve  spent billions of dollars in the War on Terrorism to ensure that international  terrorist organizations such as al’ Qaeda are not able to carry out attacks  within the United States.  There is no reason why Congress should not act to  strengthen our defenses against hate that occurs here at home.

 In Iraq and Afghanistan, our  soldiers are fighting for freedom and liberty  --  they are on the front line  fighting against evil and hate.  We owe it to our troops to uphold those same  principles here at home.

 Hate crimes are a form of  domestic terrorism.  They send the poisonous message that some Americans deserve  to be victimized solely because of who they are.  Like other acts of terrorism,  hate crimes have an impact far greater than the impact on the individual  victims.  They are crimes against entire communities, against the whole nation,  and against the fundamental ideals on which America was founded.  They are a  violation of all our country stands for.

 We’re united in our effort to  root out the cells of hatred around the world.  We should not turn a blind eye  to acts of hatred and terrorism here at home. We should not shrink now from our  role as the beacon of liberty to the rest of the world.  The national interest  in condemning bias-motivated violence in the United States is strong, and so is  our interest in condemning bias-motivated violence occurring world-wide.  When  the Senate approves this amendment, we will send a message about freedom and  equality that will resonate around the world.

 Mr. President, hate crimes  violate everything our country stands for.  They send the poisonous message that  some Americans deserve to be victimized solely because of who they are.  These  are crimes committed against entire communities, against the nation as a whole  and the very ideals on which our country was founded.

 The time has come to stand up for  the victims of these senseless acts of violence – victims like Matthew Shepard,  for whom this bill is named,  and who died a horrible death in 1998 at the hands  of two men who singled him out because of his sexual orientation.  Nine years  after Matthew’s death – nine years – we still haven’t gotten it done.  How long  are we going to wait?

 Senator Smith and I urge your  support of this bipartisan bill.  The House has come through on their side and  passed the bill.  Now it’s time for the Senate to do the same.  This year, we  can get it done.  We came close twice before.  In 2000 and 2002, a majority of  Senators voted to pass this legislation.  In 2004, we had 65 votes for the bill  and it was adopted as part of the Defense Authorization Bill.  But – that time -  it was stripped out in conference.

 The President has threatened to veto this legislation, but  we can’t let that threat stop us from doing the right thing.  Let’s display the  same kind of courage that came from David Ritcheson, a victim of a brutal hate  crime that scarred him both physically and emotionally.  This spring, David  testified before the House Judiciary Committee.  He courageously described the  horrific attack against him the year before -- after what had been an enjoyable  evening with other high school students near his home in Spring, Texas.

 Later in the evening however, two  persons attacked him and one attempted to carve a swastika into his chest.  He  was viciously beaten and burned with cigarettes, while his attackers screamed  terrible epithets at him.  He lay unconscious on the ground for 9 hours, and  remained in a coma for several weeks.  After a very difficult recovery, David  became a courageous and determined advocate.  Tragically, though, this  life-changing experience exacted its toll on David and recently, he took his own  life.  He had tried so hard to look forward, but he was still haunted by this  brutal experience.

 My deepest sympathy and  condolences go out to David’s family and friends coping with this tragic loss.   David’s death shows us that these crimes have a profound psychological impact.   We must do all we can to let victims know they are not to blame for this  brutality, that their lives are equally valued.  We can’t wait any longer to  act.

 Our amendment is supported by a  broad coalition of 210 law enforcement, civic, disability, religious and civil  rights groups, including the International Association of Chiefs of Police, the  Anti-Defamation League, the Interfaith Alliance, the National Sheriff’s  Association, the Human Rights Campaign, the National District Attorneys  Association and the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights.  All these diverse  groups have come together to say now is the time for us to take action to  protect our fellow citizens from the brutality of hate-motivated violence.  They  support this legislation, because they know it is a balanced and sensible  approach that will bring greater protection to our citizens along with much  needed resources to improve local and state law enforcement.

 Our bill corrects two major  deficiencies in current law. Excessive restrictions require proof that victims  were attacked because they were engaged in certain “federally protected  activities.”  And the scope of the law is limited, covering hate crimes based on  race, religion, or ethnic background alone.

 The federally protected activity  requirement is outdated, unwise and unnecessary, particularly when we consider  the unjust outcomes of this requirement.  Hate crimes now occur in a variety of  circumstances, and citizens are often targeted during routine activities that  should be protected.  All victims should be protected – and it’s simply wrong  that a hate crime – like the one against David Ritcheson – can’t be prosecuted  federally because it happened in a private home.

 The bill also recognizes that  some hate crimes are committed against people because of their sexual  orientation, their gender, their gender identity, or their disability.  Passing  this bill will send a loud and clear message.  All hate crimes will face federal  prosecution.  Action is long overdue.  There are too many stories and too many  victims.

 We must do all we can to end  these senseless crimes, and I urge my colleagues to support cloture on this  amendment and to support its passage as an amendment to the DOD authorization  bill.

 ###
 Press Contact Melissa Wagoner (202) 224-2633
 See://  http://kennedy.senate.gov/newsroom/press_release.cfm?id=aa771731-6107-4f08-ab6c-2c48fd81c4ab

 If you haven’t seen the video see:  http://www.hrc.org/fighthate
 Yes, my Trans sisters and Trans brothers. This bill covers  us as well J

Goddess Bless,
-Joanne Lynn
http://www.freewebtown.com/joanne_lynn/

---------------------------------