[OutVoice] Jersey City, NJ: "His Personal 'Heaven'"

TheChorusBoy at aol.com TheChorusBoy at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 03:38:29 CDT 2007

JERSEY JOURNAL

HIS PERSONAL  ‘HEAVEN’

Friday, September  14, 2007
By JEFF  THEODORE
Journal Arts  Editor
Read it  online:
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/11897
49756182550.xml&coll=3#continue
For Jade Esteban  Estrada, who calls himself a performing artist (not
performance), the  obligation to leave a legacy behind strikes at his very core,
keeps him focused  on the future.
"It's important for me to  know that I'm doing my best to contribute to
society, to set an example for the  next generation," he says. "If we don't take
that responsibility seriously, we  can be set back hundreds of years."
Estrada, a former scratch  vocalist for the Back Street Boys and chief
choreographer for 70s and 80s star  Charo, says that's why he created a show like
"Tortilla Heaven," which  was heavily inspired by his grandmother.
In "Heaven," a one-man show,  Estrada portrays seven characters that cover
three generations of  Mexican-Americans.
Estrada, who grew up in San  Antonio, Texas, says his grandmother's "whole
goal  in life was to see us (her grandchildren) speak some kind of proper
Spanish."
"Heaven," a sendup that  details the interaction - or lack thereof - between
the generations, will be  staged at the Jersey  City Museum Sunday during the
museum's  observance of Hispanic Heritage Month, which started Saturday and
ends Oct. 15.
"Tortilla Heaven" is a  family affair, written by Estrada's sister and
directed by his brother.
"I can't express how much of  an honor it is to work with two people who are
gobs and gobs more talented than  me," Estrada, 31, says of his siblings.
"They are wonderful writers. In  retrospect, it makes sense that we're all
writers. Our mom would virtually write  a 10-page letter to tell us to go take out
the trash."
When asked if he considers  himself a singer, dancer, actor or comedian,
Estrada says he refuses to single  out any of his "babies."
Estrada, an openly gay man,  says his appearance in Jersey  City will be one
of several he's made  here. He headlined gay pride celebrations in Jersey
City in 2002 and 2003 and hosted the  event in 2004.
"The folks at Jersey City  Lesbian and Gay Outreach have actually become very
good friends of mine," he  says. "When I'm on my death bed doing my best
Evita impersonation, the thing I  will be most grateful for is that I have been
allowed to cross paths with people  who are making a difference like them."
_www.getjaded.com_ (http://www.getjaded.com/)
See Jade on  YouTube:
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVprQL24Umc_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVprQL24Umc)