[OutVoice] Artist Call to Action: Approval Needed for Artist Letter to Congress in Support of Internet Radio

Joanne Lynn Benjamin garfield25_tg at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 18:27:38 EDT 2007

SaveNetRadio Coalition <info at savenetradio.org> wrote:  Subject: Artist Call to Action: Approval Needed for Artist Letter to Congress in Support of Internet Radio
To: "Joanne Lynn Benjamin" <garfield25_tg at yahoo.com>
From: "SaveNetRadio Coalition" <info at savenetradio.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:36:12 -0400 (EDT)

            Greetings,
  Thanks for your support of the SaveNetRadio coalition! We are writing to let you know that we are currently assembling artist signatories for genre-specific "artist letters," which we will be submitting to Congress to show the wide range of artist support for the Internet radio industry from genres all across the spectrum. SaveNetRadio would be honored to have the approval to list your name and/or band name on these letters. Each "genre" letter will contain language from the template letter pasted below, with changes made to each one to reflect the specific genre being addressed.
  To give approval for your name to be attached to these letters, please visit http://www.savenetradio.org/musicians/index.html and simply fill out the short form with your Name, Band name (if applicable), Musical Genre, Email, City and State.
  These letters will be extremely important in showing members of Congress that genres from all across the spectrum benefit from the exposure that Internet radio provides, and the more names that are attached to the letter the more powerful the statement will be. Please feel free to pass this link on to any musicians who also may be interested in attaching their names to this letter.
  Thanks again for your support of SaveNetRadio, without your support this legislation could not have progressed as far as it has and without your continued support it will progress no further.
  Best Regards,
  SaveNetRadio
  Artist Letter to Congress:

  Dear Members of Congress:

  We are writing you to urge you for your leadership and support to help save diversity and music on the Internet.  As artists we are extremely concerned that the recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) will mean the death of this wonderfully diverse and innovative medium. If Internet radio dies, hundreds of thousands of musicians will no longer have access to air time and a global fan base, millions of listeners will no longer be able to hear the music they want to hear, and thousands of small businesses will be forced into bankruptcy.  Please don’t let this happen.

  The CRB’s decision to increase sound recording royalty rates for Internet radio by 300 to 1200 percent means that royalty fees will exceed the revenues of most webcasters and they will have no choice but to let the music die.  Literally.

  As artists we value our music and the music of others, and we believe royalties are important.  But if royalty rates are so high that webcasters go out of business, then we and other artists will suffer as well, as will the diverse music and the innovative spirit that makes Internet radio possible. We are asking you to please think how the death of Internet radio would impact musicians and webcasters and listeners alike.

  We respectfully request that Congress take action to prevent the demise of Internet radio.  The new royalties go into effect July 15 so there is very little time; we hope you will help.

  Sincerely yours,

Goddess Bless,
-Joanne Lynn
http://www.freewebtown.com/joanne_lynn/