[OutVoice] Carla White 1951 - 2007

BMGNedra at aol.com BMGNedra at aol.com
Fri May 11 20:09:57 CDT 2007

Carla White died peacefully at home in NYC, May 9, 2007. Ms. White devoted
her life to artistic exploration and growth as a jazz singer. She was born in
Oakland, CA and raised in Bellport, NY. Completing two years at London's
prestigious Webber-Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, Ms. White returned to New York
City, embarking upon a 30-year career for which she garnered critical praise.

Career highlights included New York's Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall,
Town Hall and the Texaco Jazz Festival; The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.;
the Ottawa International Jazz Festival; the Chattanooga Riverbend Festival;
and the Mellon Jazz Festival in Philadelphia.

Ms. White is survived by her mother, Mrs. Frederick Ayer of Seattle, WA, and
three stepbrothers, James, Anthony, and Frederick Ayer and her partner Anne
Stamper. Ms. White was predeceased by her father, brother and sister, Penny and
Miles White.

>From Carla's "Musings":

"Last night I was watching a video of Joseph Campbell talking about following
your bliss, and Bill Moyers asked him: "Do you ever have this sense when you
are following your bliss, of being helped by hidden hands?" And Joseph
Campbell emphatically replied, "All the time. It is miraculous. If you follow your
bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while,
waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are
living. You begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open
the doors to you." As I am describing some of the key events in my life and
the people I have met along the way, I begin to recognize these "helping hands"
that Joseph Campbell was talking about, and all the beautiful people who are
in the field of my bliss... jazz.

So until next time, remember: Follow your bliss."

A memorial celebration will be held June 8, 2007 at
St. Peters Church
619 Lexington Avenue
( at E. 54th St.)
New York, NY
5:00pm

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the following foundations:
Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
Jazz Foundation of America

For more information about Carla White, please go to www.carlawhite.com