[OutVoice] Bethlehem, PA: "One-Man Performance Celebrates Gay Historical Figures"

thechorusboy at aol.com thechorusboy at aol.com
Tue Mar 27 00:55:52 CDT 2007

The Brown and White

ONE-MAN PERFORMANCE CELEBRATES GAY HISTORICAL FIGURES

By Brandon Sherman
News Writer

March 27, 2007

Read it online:
http://www.bw.lehigh.edu/story.asp?ID=20595

Gay Latin-American comedian and actor Jade Esteban Estrada performed a
one-man show depicting famous gay and lesbian figures in history on
Thursday.

The show, “ICONS: The Lesbian and Gay History of the World, Vol. 2” was
held in the Asa Packer Dining Room.

The performance depicted the lives of six gay and lesbian historical
figures, including Alexander the Great, Queen Christina of Sweden,
Susan B. Anthony, Billie Jean King, San Francisco politician Harvey
Milk and Flight 93 passenger hero Mark Bingham.

Estrada depicted the lives and accomplishments of the characters
through original music, dramatization, comedy and dance.

The performance sought to educate the audience by highlighting the
historical significance of a diverse selection of lesbian and gay
individuals.

“The more you look at the differences, the more you realize that we’re
all the same,” Estrada said. “The differences, once you get down to it,
are very small. For people who are like, ‘Well I don’t know any gay
people,’ let me introduce you to people who changed history.”

Estrada performed “ICONS, Vol. 1” at Lehigh in October 2005, portraying
individuals such as Michelangelo and Ellen DeGeneres.

Mike Texter, ’08, was impressed after seeing Estrada for the second
time.

“I was amazed at how he could change personas so quickly,” Texter said.
“The characters didn’t overlap; it was like a new person was taking the
stage each time.”

Estrada said “ICONS, Vol. 2” differs from the first volume because it
pursues subject matter with greater emotional depth and maturity. San
Francisco City Supervisor Harvey Milk’s assassination is depicted, as
well as Mark Bingham’s actions on Flight 93.

Estrada said he wanted to emphasize the impact the characters had on
human history, rather than merely details related to their sexuality.

“What I like about ‘ICONS 2’ is that you only hear the word ‘gay’ once
throughout the entire show,” Estrada said, “because each of the icons
that I chose were prominent in history for something they did on a
larger scale.”

Estrada is a trained stand-up comedian, but said he is careful not to
sacrifice his integrity as a performer or his subject matter for a
laugh.

“Once you get past a certain amount of laughs to be satisfied with
audience participation and audience appreciation,” Estrada said, “you
do want to have that message, and mine is to convey understanding.”

As a touring gay Latino performer, Estrada has encountered cases of
intolerance and ignorance in his audiences. Even predominately LGBTQA
audiences have been apathetic in the face of Estrada’s attempts to
illustrate LGBTQA history and culture.

“Prejudice happens even within the minority groups that we’re trying to
promote and preserve,” Estrada said. “I’ve been disrespected by my own
people.”

Estrada said the xenophobia he encounters as a product of his Latin
descent is surprisingly more pronounced than the homophobic behavior he
sees.

While performing at a diversity conference in Kansas, a heckler yelled
out, “Speak English!” as Estrada depicted a Spanish-speaking woman.

Although the experience was infuriating for Estrada, he feels it’s his
duty as a performer to ignore such distractions in favor of continuing
to educate and entertain the rest of the audience.

“I’m never going to say that anything has been tough because I’m pretty
strong in what I do when I do it,” Estrada said. “One of the reasons I
make my shows interactive is to keep my control over the presentation
and over the performing situation.”

Having written seven solo performances, including three volumes of
“ICONS,” Estrada stressed the infinite nature of lesbian and gay
history.

“Any good book or any good documentation of a community or a life, it’s
just like dropping a bucket into the ocean,” he said.

www.GetJaded.com