[OutVoice] Thank You Doug Stevens

CScandelle at aol.com CScandelle at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 08:53:22 CDT 2007

Thanks Doug,

This message is a timely one... it has been a very challenging year for me
as an artist and finding your email today helps more than you know.

It is definitely a cultural war and the sad thing is our very own community
is "on the fence" desperate to make a buck by accepting alliance with the very
 corporate powers that will only accept us through acceptable hetero
assimilation.

No - its not easy being pioneers, but almost everyday I get rewarded by
stories of  GLBT and (more than a few outside of our community) that spell  out
what the important "mission" is. Stories like the one I received on  Christmas 2
years ago from a then 14 year old Scandelle music fan who through a  bike
accident is paralyzed from the waist down and was overwhelmed by fear of  his
parents (kicking him out on the street) if they found out about him being  Gay!!
Believe me when I tell you that this kid was ready to end his  life.

Thank God for music!!!! Through my music- he felt connected and reached  out!

Being in a position as a music performer with a growing and loving fan base
- I was able to reach back to him and collected emails from my fans  (without
revealing his identity) and forwarded hundreds of letters from them  reminding
him of the love we have for him and his situation. I am so proud to  say that
today this very same brave kid is now touring the world as a  spokesperson
for people living with disabilities. And from the look of his most  recent pics
-- he's living his life with joy and facing his fears in different  ways - by
helping others -face theirs!

In other words- being who we are at this time is crucial. Bitterness is on
some level to be expected (it's really tough out there) but it's only temporary
 and sticking close to our friends and fans that believe in us and support us
is  what can get us through.

Success is a tricky word if you don't have your spiritual priorities in
order. I am grateful for the love and "success" my music and voice have and
continue to bring me.

I encourage all of us who continue to struggle -to stay strong and  support
each other whenever we can.

Thank you again for that message Doug and all of the hard work that you've
done - people like you and JD are our heroes!

God Bless,
SCANDELLE