[OutVoice] KATE BORNSTEIN to be honored April 16, 2007 at Fresh Fruit Festival Awards NYC

THEMUSENYC at aol.com THEMUSENYC at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 18:33:09 CST 2007

Each the Fresh Fruit Festival recognizes the outstanding work from the past
year's festival at an award ceremony. It is attended by community leaders,
politicians, and our friends.   At the ceremony, we also give present our Passion
Fruit Award to community leaders who have supported the idea of Fresh Fruit
which is not only to celebrate our contributions but our diversity and beauty as
well.

Past winners have been: Ellie Covan (Dixon Place), Mark Russell (PS 122),
Margarita Lopez (Council Member), Deborah Glick (State Assembly Member),
Jeremey Hoovis (Sirius Radio), puppets NIck and Rod (Avenue Q- award accepted by
Mrs. Thistletwat).

This year the recipient of the distinguished Fresh Fruit Festival PASSION
FRUIT AWARD will be:
KATE BORNSTEIN - www.katebornstein.com

"It would be such an honor to attend the ceremony on April 16th and accept a
Passion Fruit award from you. I do admire the Fresh Fruit Festival for such
sassy theater, and for some of the best I've seen of new generation queer arts.
Thank you for bringing that all together in your festival. That's stunning." -
KATE BORNSTEIN

KATE BORNSTEIN is an author, playwright and performance artist. Her latest
book, Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and
Other Outlaws, hits the bookshelves in July, 2006. Kate's published works include
the books Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and the Rest of Us; My Gender Workbook
; and the cyber-romance-action novel, Nearly Roadkill with co-author Caitlin
Sullivan. Kate's plays and performance pieces include Strangers in Paradox,
Hidden: A Gender, The Opposite Sex Is Neither, Virtually Yours, and y2kate:
gender virus 2000.
Kate's books are taught in over 120 colleges and universities around the
world; and ze has performed hir work live on college campuses, and in theaters and
performance spaces across the USA, as well as in Canada, the United Kingdom,
Germany, and Austria. She is currently touring colleges, youth conferences and
high schools, speaking and leading workshops on the subjects of sex, gender,
and alternatives to teen suicide.
Kate has two new projects ready to launch in the spring of 2007: a memoir and
new solo performance piece, both with the same title: Kate Bornstein Is A
Queer And Pleasant Danger.
Kate was born outside of Fargo, North Dakota in a log cabin ze helped hir
parents build. Hir father was a Lutheran minister, and hir mother was Miss Betty
Crocker, 1939. Kate has lived in the queer ghettos of Philadelphia, San
Francisco, and Seattle. Ze currently lives with hir partner--sex pioneer, writer and
performance artist Barbara Carrellas--in New York City, along with their two
pugs, two cats, two turtles, and a thriving well-populated ant farm.

Learn more about FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL at www.freshfruitfestival.com

luv

robert urban - founder
GAY GUITARISTS WORLDWIDE