[OutVoice] On the making of Marshall Zarne's BOOZE, SEX & the DEVIL

THEMUSENYC at aol.com THEMUSENYC at aol.com
Sun Feb 4 09:27:49 CST 2007

On the making of the new Marshall Zarne cd: BOOZE, SEX & the DEVIL -

"The songs I wrote for Booze, Sex and the Devil are directly from my own
experiences. I am not one of those singers who has never done anything, but yet
sings about boozing and whoring while still claiming to be a sober virgin. I've
lived it all and I'm not gonna pretend... " - M. Zarne

Yup... sounds like Marshall.

The photo shoot for the Marhsall's CD artwork was lotsa fun, and a great
story in itself: I wanted to create CD photo art that matched the musical &
lyrical imagery conjured up in Marshall's confessional, demons-ridden, spooky slice
of vagabond/cowboy/southern/Americana called BOOZE, SEX & THE DEVIL. So I had
us trek to straight dive bars around Hells Kitchen, NYC - in the daytime -
evocative with that kind of harsh afternnoon light streaming in through bar
windows. It's a time of day when the near-empty bars and their patrons have a
certain unglamorous, dingy, lonely look. Bar drinkers at that time of day may be
said to be of the "serious" variety.

Marshall and I had to buy drinks at each place we went to. Most bars threw us
out after only a few snapshots because my photographing angered cranky bar
patrons & gruff bartenders alike. As the day progressed and we visited more and
more bars. Marshall and I got progressively more drunk - and more rowdy. We
got booted from bars even faster, since we now would toss some bawdy back-talk
at anyone that complained about our shoot. At day's end we returned to my
apartment - quite blotto'd - but with a camera full of great shots. All the CD
photo art on BOOZE, SEX & THE DEVIL comes from that daylong jaunt throughout the
grungy saloons of Manhattan.

BOOZE, SEX & THE DEVIL - Singer/songwriter Marshall Zarne has that rare gift
for taking mundane tales of everyday life and transforming them into
sudden-enlightenment revelations about the dark, sorrowful heart of human existence.
Having accompanied him many times life-in-concert, I can testify - when Marshall
launches into one of his world-weary song-stories - you can hear a pin drop
in the house. He's a kind of torch-song oracle - his emotional pain rises up
from the shared world zeitgeist - and is immediately recognized as something
belonging to everyone. Confrontational, queer, depressing, reclusive - he
nontheless possesses the "common man" appeal of a Will Rogers or a Johnny Cash.  -
Robert Urban, URBAN PRODUCTIONS, NYC

More at:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/marshallzarne
contact Marshall Zarne at: