[OutVoice] My new CD, Website, excitement

Mara Levi mara_levi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 12:46:42 CST 2007

Hi friends,
I wanted to let you know that my new CD is IN my hands, and is set for official release on March 6th.  It features "The Homo Song," "Angelina," and lots of other great tunes that may or may not offend your conservative parents...
My new website also launched today, and you can stream the audio of the CD there right NOW if you'd like to go hear it!
I'm pasting the press release for the album below - as always, I'm so appreciative of all of your support.  Come play in DC sometime soon!
Mara
----------
For Immediate Release:
Contact:
Mara Levi
maralevi at gmail.com
413-265-3392
www.maralevi.com

DC Resident, Smart-Pop Rocker and Out Musician, Mara Levi ( www.maralevi.com) will be releasing her new CD, "What Are You?" on March 6, 2007.  Mara plays Smart Pop Music – music that is accessible, catchy, individual and complex.
Mara's second solo CD, "What Are You?" is a departure from the style of her first solo release.  Intentionally eclectic, the album and its title directly confront the notion that anyone (or any music) can be easily defined, or that people should be expected to have an answer to the question, "What Are You?"

Mara recorded every track on the album from her home in DC, using only instruments that she could play herself.  The result is an album that sounds less like top-40 radio, and more like a reflection of Mara's varied musical interests.  Many of the background vocals were arranged to mimic vocal groups from the '40s and '50s; bass parts run the gamut from simple bluegrass to actual countermelodies; improvised trumpet and vocal parts join open voicings of common chords to add elements of jazz; one song takes its structure and background vocals directly from Johannes Brahms; old and new voicings and sounds combine to give the album a complex and very human range and diversity.
Mara began performing with the New York band Kid Sampson in 2000. Since the band's breakup in 2002, Mara has been performing solo and touring all over the country.  Mara has lived in DC for two years now, and has become an active member of the music community there.

In a review of Mara's Solo Debut CD, "Life's a Ball," Baltimore Out Loud wrote,
"...the perfect pop music inside spoke to me instantly. First of all, Levi's voice is a powerful tool, her musicianship is above par, and her songwriting gifts are considerable. A combination such as that has resulted in some of the most original and admirable songs I've heard in a long time."
For a sample copy of "What Are You?," for review or for interview information, please contact Mara at maralevi at gmail.com or 413-265-3392.