[OutVoice] Queer Music Heritage website has a new West Wing, sort of...

Jddoyle1 at aol.com Jddoyle1 at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 20:49:42 CST 2006

Well, when you upload an additional 140 pages...

Here's what happened. This month's edition of QMH is in celebration of "Those
Singing Drag Queens." A historical, and I hope entertaining, look at the Drag
Artists in our history who really sang. But you know me, I could not leave it
alone and just do a hour show to air in Houston.

For my "internet version" I included everything I think deserves it, and
ended up with 3 hours worth. It covers from 1922 through to the mid-80's, and
that's Part 1. Next month I'll finish the job and do the last twenty years. Oh,
and Part 1 includes a special interview with Atlanta's drag diva, Diamond Lil.
She started before Stonewall and like any diva, has a lot to say...:)

And, what about the new 140 pages? Well, I decided my site needed to document
the history of all recordings of this special genre, so I set up a Drag
Artist Discography, and gee, it turned into a lot of pages, with scans of album and
CD covers and photos of the artists, whether they sang or just did comedy.
You can visit that section, and one way to get there is with a link from my
March show, start here...

http://www.queermusicheritage.com/mar2006.html

As for the playlist, you may not recognize many of the names, but here's your
chance to hear them strut their stuff, in heels.

Playlist:
Hour 1    58:21
Rae Bourbon – I Don’t Want to Be a Madam (1957)
Ross Hamilton – Darling I Love You (1922)
Douglas Byng – At the Ball (1932)
Frankie “Half-Pint” Jaxon – Be Your Natural Self (1940)
Tampa Red, with Frankie “Half-Pint Jaxon” –
     My Daddy Rocks Me With One Steady Roll (1929)
Billie McCallister – 31 E Blues (1952)
Rae Bourbon – When I Said No To Joe (1956)
Rae Bourbon – I Must Have A Greek (early 50s)
Ray Bourbon – My First Piece (mid-30s)
Rae Bourbon – Sailor Boy (early 50s)
Arthur Blake – A Ride Before Breakfast (1957)
Lynne Carter – Gypsy In My Soul (1957)
TC Jones – Ten Cents a Dance (1957)
TC Jones – Bill (1959)
Commercials In a Plain Brown Wrapper – Drag Detergent (1960)
Jose Sarria – Hello (1960)
Jose Sarria – A Good Man Is Hard To Find (1960)
Bobby Marchan – Chickie Wah Wah (1956)
Jackie Shane – Any Other Way (1963)
Jimmy Callaway – Hello Dolly (1963)
Ty Bennett – If I Can’t Sell It, I’m Going To Sit On It (1964)
Guilda – L’Homme (1962)
Jean Fredericks – Nobody Loves A Fairy When She’s Forty (1964)
Noel McKay – A Good Man Is Hard To Find (mid-60s)

Hour 2    64:10
Lee Sutton – The Lady Is A Fake (1968)
Danny La Rue – Mame (1970)
Danny La Rue – Hello Dolly (1970)
Michelle – Why Am I So Lovely? (1968)
Minette - LBJ, don't take my man away (1968)
Charles Pierce – Want to Buy an Illusion / One of the Boys (1987)
Jim Bailey – You Made Me Love You / Second Hand Rose (1973)
Reg Livermore – It Should Have Been Me (1976)
Rudy Ray Moore – Jerry Walker intro (1971)
Jerry Walker – I Live the Life I Love Because I Love the Life I Live (1971)
Liz Lyons – A Long Long Time (1975)
Daisy Dynamite – See What the Boys in the Backroom Will Have (1975)
Michael Aspinall – Aprile (1976)
Hinge & Bracket – Can’t Help Lovin’ That Man (1983)
Dame Edna – Here I Am (1976)
Foo Foo Lamarr – My Way (1976)
The Trollettes – Back in Ackky Sacky (1983)
Pierrot – Homosexual (1978)
Samantha – Rock Me Baby (1979)
Domino – Cabaret Paree (1980)
Craig Russell – Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend (1977)
Craig Russell – Some of These Days (1987)

Hour 3    61:00
Lily Savage – Tough at the Top (1988)
Fred Barton – I’m a Bitch (1986)
Fred Barton – Pour Me a Man (1986)
Diamond Lil – Proud Mary (1984)
Diamond Lil Interview
Diamond Lil – Love Generator (Glamour Version) (1984)
Diamond Lil – Jailhouse Jezebel (1984)
Diamond Lil – Big Lollipop (1984)
Diamond Lil – You Can Have My Husband (1984)
Diamond Lil – Silver Grill Blues (Grease Version) (1984)
Divine – You Think You’re a Man (1984)

Enjoy,

JD Doyle

my "Queer Music Heritage" radio show site:
http://www.queermusicheritage.com
my Outradio site:
http://www.outradio.com
and co-producer of Audiofile, the monthly
radio review of CDs of interest to the GLBT
communities, airing on over 150 stations
around the world on This Way Out.
The Audiofile site is at www.Audiofile.org
and all past Audiofile segments are archived
at http://www.queermusicheritage.com/af.html
Also co-host of Queer Voices on KPFT, every
Monday night from 7-9 pm, http://www.queervoices.org/
and at MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/jddoyle