[OutVoice] "PURE POETRY" cast announced! 7/17 NYC

THEMUSENYC at aol.com THEMUSENYC at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 10:34:43 CDT 2006

Media Contact:
Robert Urban/URBAN PRODUCTIONS - themusenyc at aol.com - 212-932-1044
Carol Polcovar/FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL - polcovar at yahoo.com - 212 779-3051
Julie Androshick/WE THREE PRODUCTIONS -  jandroshick at nyc.rr.com -
212-794-9747

> The 2006 NYC FRESH FRUIT FESTIVAL
> in association with URBAN PRODUCTIONS and WE 3 PRODUCTIONS presents:
> PURE POETRY at the TELEPHONE BAR
> co-hosts Robert Urban and Julie Androshick
>
> A reading embracing the myriad of poetic styles born of a diverse LGBT
> reality.
> The diverse cast of LGBT poets include:
> baron - Tamiko Beyer - Angelina Lim - Louis Lopardi - Thomas March - Richard
> Loranger - Carol Polcovar - Amy Ouzoonian - Chavisa Woods - Tamiko Beyer -
> Robert Urban - Chocolate Waters
>
> When: Monday, July 17, 8pm.
> Where: Telephone Bar 149 Second Ave. (Btw. 9th and 10th Street) NYC
Admission: FREE!!!

> Thomas March is a poet and essayist who lives in New York City. In 2005, his
> poem Virginia Woolf Pockets, Full of Stones was a finalist for Gival Press'
> Oscar Wilde Award for poetry. His poems have appeared (or are forthcoming) in
> A Café in Space, The Gay and Lesbian Review, The North Atlantic Review,
> Perigee, Verbatim, and the anthology Poetic Voices without Borders - Volume 2
> (Gival Press 2006). He regularly reviews books for The Gay and Lesbian Review
> and American Book Review, and has reviews forthcoming in New Letters,
> Shenandoah, and The Believer.
>
> Amy Ouzoonian is a poet, playwright and editor of the recently released
> anthology of poetry In the Arms of Words: Poems for Disaster Relief (Sherman
> Asher, 2005). She is the editor for A Gathering of the Tribes magazine and the
> author of a book of poems, "Your Pill" (Foothills Publishing, 2004). She
> currently lives and writes in Brooklyn and is working on her second collection of
> poems What Could Be Invented.
>
> Chavisa Woods born and raised in Southern Illinois,spent three years in St.
> Louis Mo., working in theater ,competing in Poetry Slam, political action,
> and experimental performance art. She was poet in residence at Gathering of
> Tribes Gallery. Chavisa has appeared at Saturdays, Salient Saturdays at the
> Bowery PoetryClub, Poetic License, longshot Beat Bush , among others.  Her work
> appears in Prima Materia, Howl 1003, Fuzion, Rhapsodists, Tribes Magazine,
> The Gay and Lesbian Poetry Review Worldwide,  Matador, and others. She is
> currently editing a poetry anthology on the theme of religion and it's impact on
> the political climate, to be published by Fly by Night Press in the fall of
> 2006.
>
> Chocolate Waters was one of the first openly lesbian poets to be published
> during the "second wave of feminism" . A pioneer in women's publishing and in
> the art of performance poetry, she has toured throughout the United States,
> but makes her home in Manhattan. Her three collections: To the man reporter
> from the Denver Post, Take Me Like A Photograph and Charting New Waters were
> produced by Eggplant Press during 1975-80 and are considered classics of the
> early women’s movement. Her CD, “Chocolate Waters Uncensored,” which spans
> three decades of groundbreaking work, was released by Eggplant Productions in
> 2001. A receipent of the New York State Foundation for the Arts fellowship in
> Poetry and a grant from the Barbara Deming Memorial Fund,her work, has
> appeared in hundreds of publications.

Carol Polcovar, the Artistic Director of the Fresh Fruit Festival, is a
playwright, director and producer who began her career as a poet. She studied with
John Ashberry and has been published in many literary magazines-- most
recently in BROOKLYN. Her work is included in the anthology DOWNTOWN POETS.

Robert Urban is also owner/operator of Manhattan-based URBAN PRODUCTIONS
Recording Studio.  He has composed music scores for numerous professional dance,
theater and film productions.  In addition to his own 4 CD releases, Robert's
work (esp. as guitarist) can be heard on the recordings of many other musical
artists.  He is producer/host of Urban Productions BOLDLY Presents - li
ve-in-concert music series (now in its 6th year). Robert is the author of the poetry
book Abominations; founder of Gay Guitarists Worldwide and contributing arts &
culture writer for AfterElton.com and StonewallSociety.com magazines. Robert
is the recipient of the 2003 PRIDE IN THE ARTS Literary Award for his poem
"Fable"; and again in 2005 for his poem "Who We Are".