[OutVoice] New Time For Saturday's Demonstration

Zecca Esquibel zecca at erols.com
Fri Jun 16 18:32:26 CDT 2006

Just received this new post re: Saturday's Demonstration. Since so
many inportant organizations are now involved (see list at end) and a
march is scheduled, I assume permits were issued for the new time frame.

Zecca

March and Rally this Saturday, 6/17/06, 2PM

Raise Our Voices Against Anti-LGTB Hate in Our City and in Our
Neighborhoods

When: Saturday, June 17

Where: Gather at NE Corner of 14th Street and First Avenue at 2PM;
march at 3PM to Christopher Park (Christopher & West 4th Streets)

Why: In the last week - as unfortunately happens so often in June - a
number of hate incidents have impacted our community in neighborhoods
around the city:

Saturday, June 10, 12:30 AM - East Village, Manhattan
On his way home, singer Kevin Aviance is brutally attacked by a group
of men yelling anti-gay slurs

Saturday, June 10, 1:10 AM - Astoria, Queens
A group of three friends are attacked by a larger group yelling
anti-gay and racist epithets and wielding a baseball bat

Sunday, June 11, 5:45 AM - Astoria, Queens
A man is followed off of an "N" train by another man who harassed him
with anti-gay language, pushed him down elevated platform exit stairs
to the street, and kicked and punched repeatedly.

In addition, hate crime attacks are up in the NYC area as well as a
frightening number of unsolved hate-related murders.

Make your voice heard! We will not be targeted even as we celebrate
our History, our Pride and our Survival...
Stand up and be counted Saturday..but anti-LGTB hate happens all year
long...

Community Partners in this Effort include: the NYC Gay & Lesbian
Anti-Violence Project, Daniel Dromm, Empire State Pride Agenda, Gay
and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Gay Men of African Descent,
Lambda Independent Democrats of Brooklyn, the Latino Commission on
AIDS, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, Mano a Mano, the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, New York State Black Gay Network,
NYC Council Member Rosie Mendez, NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn,
NYS Assembly Member Deborah Glick, NYS Assembly Member Sylvia
Friedman, NYS Senator Tom Duane, People of Color in Crisis, Unity
Fellowship Church of Christ, list in formation