[OutVoice] Safety Tips: Some Information That May Prove Helpful!!!

CScandelle at aol.com CScandelle at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 17:51:28 CDT 2006

Hey Guys,

After making some phone calls today to several police precincts  (here in
Brooklyn) local and in NYC. I spoke with a few detectives and  information people
about reporting incidents and receiving assistance during  assaults \ bashing
etc.

Unfortunately, there is no hotline or special Hate Crimes Dept with  a direct
1 800 tel no.

(Which is something that should be looked into - wouldn't you  agree?)

So for now-- what we should be telling our friends, family and fans  is that
if you or someone you know  are witness to an assault/Hate Crime  here are
some tips that could help.

Please be sure to pass this info on to as many people as possible -  though
most of this is "common sense" ...

as we now know--- it still needs to be reinforced- remember lives  are at
stake

1.)Get to the nearest telephone and dial 911 immediately.

2.)Give the location of the crime first then give all the details  you can
remember.

3.)Try to retain as much information as possible when reporting the  crime
(this is crucial when submitting evidence for apprehending the  assailants as
quickly as possible if they manage to leave the   scene before police arrive.)

Use language that they can understand - such as "the victim is a  Black Male
in his ... being attacked by four assailants ....

3.)Be sure to include the number of people involved including race,  age
groups, body types, clothing, vehicle description any information to get the
police on the trail as quickly as possible. Including what direction the
assailants went in etc.

4.) BE  READY TO TESTIFY AS A WITNESS. This part is also very  important
sometimes in this crazy world, it takes more than an  unfortunate victim (trust me
on this I've been through the legal system  with this on a different level
and it could work against us  if the crime  isn't being caught on tape/film and
no witnesses step forward)
Our goal with reporting these hideous crimes is to make the most  severe
charges stick! So please pass this on to everyone you know and make sure  that
everyone understands that "numbers do count" when police need evidence not
caught on film.

5.) Awareness is key! Keep things fresh as possible by reminding  others to
pay attention to what is happening. Also if you can take names and  telephone
numbers of others standing nearby that may have witnessed the  attack.

I'm sorry to say this-- but I didn't feel very reassured after  talking with
any of these people today. So I feel its really up to each and  everyone of us
to look after our own!

If you see a friend leaving a bar alone late at night or  otherwise... think
about joining them  for more  safety.

SO SPREAD THE WORD!! FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE INFORMATION AND PASS  THIS ON!
MAYBE WE SHOULD GET FLYERS POSTED UP IN THE STORES, BARS, ETC TO HELP  SEND THE
MESSAGE ACROSS.

BE SAFE BE HAPPY BE YOU!

ALL MY LOVE,

SCANDELLE