[OutVoice] Robin Renee Review 5/27/06

Terry Christopher enterrytainer at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 10:44:05 CDT 2006

  On May 27, 2006, a beautifully spiritual, OUT, singer/songwriter, Robin Renee who does double duty by making her presence felt in both Philadelphia and New York City, lit up an already stellar afternoon on the 3 day holiday weekend at the quaint performance space, Rockwood Music Hall.

  Robin Renee literally owned the stage for her set.  She had it set up with beautiful Batik styled fabric of maroon and off white, 3 tall candles and percussive instruments like the conga, Indian drum, chimes and naal skillfully played by Karttikeya were all around.  The stage was set and so was Ms. Renee.

  Robin opened with an uplifting song, Fly that did just that with her stellar vocal production.  The next two songs First Sight and Spiritual Ink, the later being my favorite of Ms. Renee’s, left the listener knowing that they were in the presence of a singer as proficient in her own spiritual awareness without coming across preachy or contrived as she was in her lively guitar playing.  For me, I would liken Robin Renee’s set to having a soothing tea with Mother Earth while listening to the voice of logic, inner peace, and reasoning of Buddha.

  Ms. Renee’s vocals are rich like gems pulled from the earth itself with an almost weathered sound in that you get a sense that you are hearing a voice that has been, seen and done it all.  Imagine combining Maryanne Faithful, Stevie Nicks and Anita Baker and then you’d have Robin Renee.  Hers is a voice of experience filled with history of days and perhaps, lives past.  However, do not be deceived that a voice that seeps of such experience and history is delivered without zest and energy.  Ms. Renee’s energy and sparkle behind her eyes will absolutely convey to the listener otherwise.

  The one aspect of a Robin Renee set that I find as equally important is Ms. Renee’s expression and specifically the sumptuous story she delivers to her listeners with her eyes.  Her eyes are like no other artist that I have seen.  They are as rich in detail as is every note that she sings.  Robin makes each listener in the room feel as if she is singing to them and just for them by acknowledging each person in the room with a visual connectivity that while playing to a group, comes across very one on one.

  The rest of the songs in Ms. Renee’s set were Chant, I’m Coming Down, Holy River, The Other End of the Line, For Today & finally Into the Fire.  All of which were solid standout gems unto themselves.  Robin used the harmonium, which is very much like a floor sat accordion, in Chant and utilized a very willing audience to assist in the cyclic needs of the lyric.

  Robin Renee is a singer/songwriter that is carving out a sound and style truly all her own.  Ms. Renee is definitely a ‘must see’ LIVE performer because of the way she weaves successfully her wonderful lyrics into spiritual storytelling that alone is worth the ticket price at the door.

  Written by:
  Terry Christopher

  "We must never turn back simply because the way may be difficult or because there are no mechanical aids for the ascent. The view is better higher up and this journey is not one for the feet but for the evolution of the soul".