[OutVoice] Savage Garden Singer Marries Gay Partner

BMGNedra at aol.com BMGNedra at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 20:14:29 CDT 2006

Updated:2006-07-19 09:33:58
Savage Garden Singer Marries Gay Partner
Reuters
 Getty Images
Hayes calls his marriage the 'most significant event in my life.'

More Coverage:
 Savage Garden's Biggest Hit

Talk About It: Post Messages

LOS ANGELES (July 19) - Darren Hayes, one-half of defunct Australian pop duo
Savage Garden, said he married his boyfriend in a recent civil ceremony in
London.

The announcement, made to fans Monday on Hayes' web site, offered a rare
insight into his private life, which he has long kept under wraps.

"As so many of you have given me your heart and soul over the past 10 years I
thought it only fitting that I too return the respect and inform you of the
most significant event in my life," Hayes wrote.

"On June 19th 2006 I married my boyfriend of two years, Richard (Cullen), in
a civil partnership ceremony in London. I can honestly say it was the happiest
day of my life."

While Hayes said he finally felt "secure and content" in his heart, he
reaffirmed his belief that "families and relationships are not commodities to be
sold off for public consumption," and would therefore remain "a public person
with a private life." He was briefly married in the late 1990s to a longtime
female friend.

On the professional side, the 34-year-old is about to spend six months in
London recording his third solo album for an unspecified new label. He announced
earlier this month that he had split with his home of 10 years, Columbia
Records.

Singer/songwriter Hayes and producer/multi-instrumentalist Daniel Jones
formed Savage Garden in 1994. Their two albums, 1997's self-titled debut and 1999's
"Affirmation" sold more than 23 million copies combined worldwide. The duo
also topped the U.S. singles charts with the tunes "I Knew I Loved You" and
"Truly, Madly, Deeply." They split in 2001, and Hayes released his solo debut,
"Spin," the following year.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not
be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in
reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2006-07-19 06:58:23